Into the bush: Kakadu National Park-Tennants Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Mataranka
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The next morning we were awoken by our 'neighbours' shouting at us. They were kind enough to inform us that we were lazy and missing the best part of the day. Breakfast was cooked on the fire once again and we enjoyed noodles with boiled egg - A cheap and interesting alternative to a sausage and egg mcmuffin.

We packed up our camp and headed on around 9.30am towards Pine Creek. It turned out that it was a one road town consisting of a garage and a toy shop that sold alcohol! From there we made progress towards Edith Falls where we had a swim in the icy cold lake and a brief wash of certain items.

We were now getting more adventurous and had a lunch of freshly cooked sausage sandwiches with cup'o'soup! In the afternoon, we drove onto to another outback town called Katherine to get some supplies and ask some travel related questions in the inofmration centre. The town was full of drunk Abo's and we quickly escaped south to Mataranka. We found a good rest stop for the night and dinner was freshly prepared by Dale: chicken and lentil hotpot with rice (all cooked over an open fire!) - very, very tasty!

The wonderful dinner and the couple of glasses of goon (very cheap cask wine!) had sent us all to bed early but Mark was up before sunrise to collect firewood. The fire was blazing and the coffees were steaming before the other two had even surfaced from the van. Dale claimed he wasn't hungover but felt really sick and couldn't eat his breakfast. He continued the day in the back of the van whilst Mark and Ollie navigated their way south on the only road that existed. We smashed out 500km with only one major stop for lunch and football before continuing on towards Tennants Creek. We arrived around 5pm and decided to pay for a campsite as it had been a while without showers! We checked into a nice little campsite with great hot showers and a little kitchen for cooking. However, we opted once again to make a fire and cook outside in the bush.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb