Nitmiluk National Park, Katherine


Advertisement
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Friday 1st October - Katherine

Long drive today from Litchfield to Katherine via Pine Creek. Encountered loads of road trains (Dave's heard that in some parts of the country they get up to quarter of a mile long). You would think by now we'd had enough of waterfalls, but a quick detour to Edith Falls proves that you can never have too many waterfalls in this region. Bearing in mind my usual level of physical activity, I thought it was very spirited of us to attempt to swim across the whole lake. Indeed, I thought we were doing an excellent job until we were overtaken by 83 year old George and his 2 young grandchildren who do this twice a day.

Ok - so we don't want to have waterfall overkill here, so next stop is Katherine Hot Springs (not actually that hot, but really nice and bubbly). We've had more baths in the last 2 days than Ryan has had in a fortnight (only joking mate). It's so hot and the humidity is over 90 percent, so we feel quite justified in all this cooling off.

Arrived at Nitmiluk Camp site where there was live music, club singer style (ooh yeah!). On the campsite we had our first marsupial encounter (loads of wallabies and their babies).

Saturday 2nd October

Woken up by big white cockatoos and green parakeets in the tree above us (how cool). We then embarked upon a cruise along the Katherine Gorge (if any of you have heard of a film called Jedda, then Katherine Gorge was used in this movie). The scenery was absolutely stunning and the photos don't really do it justice. Does it sound like everything's going too well? Indeed, right on cue our boat broke down. We spent a fair amount of time going backwards in circular motions, but eventually another boat was sent to rescue us. All adds to the fun.

Back into 'Junior' for another long drive to Kakadoo National Park. We'd heard fantastic reports about Kakadoo, and indeed it was our initial reason for choosing Darwin as a pitstop. We arrived at Cooinda on Kakadoo early evening and set up camp at Gagudju Lodge. By now, the novelty of camping in such extreme heat is beginning to wear off. We've been plagued by flies, stinging ants and mosquitoes (I really want to get a hat with corks on), and it's too hot to sleep. The novelty of cooking al fresco is also wearing thin, so we settled down for the evening with a pot noodle. At least there have been no further sightings of the infamous Matthew Pinder.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th October 2010

Wowser!
You guys have been getting about! I've been a bit croc (see whaddi did there;) for the last couple of weeks and you've been buzzing all over the place on a waterfall fiesta. Sounds blooming lovely. Apart from the camping bit, which just ain't me, what with them insects and 40% diet unaccounted for crocs, and baby wallabies sticking their furry noses in the tent in the middle of the night. Well, I spose a furry nose'd be ok. Bit like having Ade around really. I digress. What I'm trying to say is well done the pair of you for blogging so frequently. I look forward to working my way through them and virtually whizzing my way around Aus and NZ...

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb