ULURU & KATA TJUTA (AYERS ROCK & THE OLGAS)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Ayers Rock
November 30th 2011
Published: December 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a couple of nights in Alice Springs stocking up supplies and having a bit of a look around town we headed toward the red centre of Australia to see the big red rock.

We were only 130kms out of Alice when we stopped for a wee break and were sizing up the area for an overnight camp possibility for our trip back. There was a couple camped there already and they had a nice little spot in the shade. Clean toilets, covered table and a little bit of water in the river for a swim. All of a sudden the lady stands up and starts to cry out in pain. Her husband tried desperately to calm her down but within a minute he was yelling out to us for help. She had started to convulse and fit. Franticly we tried to help and tried to call for help but there is absolutely no phone service out there. We couldn’t raise anyone on the radio either. We heard a car coming so we ran out and flagged them down hoping they would have a satellite phone. Can you believe the two occupants of the car were nurses! Thank God for
Waterhole at UluruWaterhole at UluruWaterhole at Uluru

It is very green all around the rock this time of year. Everything is in flower.
that! They fully took control of the situation and ended up taking her to the hospital themselves. Peter and I remained behind and helped Geoff pack up his camp and the dog and waved him off to follow his wife Sue to the hospital.

What a start to the day! Unfortunately we didn’t get his phone number to see how his wife Sue is but we know they are from Darwin and that’s where we are eventually headed so you never know we might just see them again.

The rest of our long journey to see the big amazing rock in the middle of Australia went smoothly. We actually really enjoyed the scenery. Late spring is a good time of year to be here as everything is green and in flower which looks really great against the red dirt.

It is a very hot, dry heat during the day but it cools down considerably at night. (In Alice Springs I had to get the wool blanket out!)

It is true that Uluru is a spectacular sight. We watched the sunset and then returned again the next morning very bright and early to watch the sunrise over the rock. The changing colours are amazing. We were most impressed with the rich glowing red at sunset.

We camped at the Yulara Resort which is a voyages resort and the closest point you can stay near the Ayers Rock. We only intended to stay for one night but ended staying for two because we were so impressed. The $41 per night is fine when you are happy with the facilities and service. The $25 each we paid to get into the national park is also worth it. I can now appreciate why people come from all over the world to see Ayers Rock.

Once again we left Maxie in the air-conditioned comfort of the van for a few hours and drove out to see the Olgas “Kata Tjuta”. They are in the same national park as Uluru about 50km apart so we figure that we have come all this way we had better see all we can.

They are spectacular too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BilbyBilby
Bilby

We think this is a little bilby at our camp at Yulara Resort.
Kata TjutaKata Tjuta
Kata Tjuta

The Olgas at sunset.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb