Alice Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Ayers Rock
August 24th 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So I’ve just got back from a tour around Uluru, Kings Canyon and Kata Tjuta. It was amazing! We started from Alice Springs early Sunday morning and reached Kings Canyon by midday. After we had climbed and wandered around Kings we went to collect firewood for the night. Along the way we saw wild camels, these aren’t native but central Australia has the largest population of wild camels. That night we slept under the stars in our swags and sleeping bags. We cooked dinner on the camp fire and had a couple of beers, or in my case wine. The night sky was so clear you could see soo many stars, shooting stars and the Milky Way. It was very exciting! Around the camp we found loads of little hopping mice which were very cute. The next day we got up very early to travel to Kata Tjuta which was so pretty. After lunch we visited the cultural center and learnt a lot about the Anangu people (They don’t like to be called aboriginals.) Then we walked around Uluru and learnt many of their stories of their ancestors. We had the opportunity to watch the sunset behind Kata Tjuta while watching Uluru change colour with the sunset. That night we slept under the stars again and roasted marshmallows, which I can now do without burning it! In the morning we went back to the same place as the previous night to watch the sun rise next to Uluru  On the last day we did the base walk around Uluru. Some people wanted to do the climb but it was closed. We are asked not to climb as it is a sacred place to the Anangu people so I didn’t want to anyway. Also the climb is really dangerous, 36 people have died attempting it. On the way back to Alice Springs we stopped off for a camel ride and to feed wild wallabies.

I really enjoyed sleeping under the stars, although it was really cold. My knees made it just about when we were walking around these rocks which was good and feeding the wallabies was so much fun, they’re so cute!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb