Day 6 Tomakin - Braidwood


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Tomakin
February 12th 2011
Published: February 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The River not CrossedThe River not CrossedThe River not Crossed

Nest Time we will come correctly equipped to visit the Big Hole
We took a trip out to Braidwood and the surrounding areas. These include the old township, with a visit to the museum that was well worth the time.
The volunteer spoke about the gold mining beginnings of the area and mentioned a place called Araluen that had prior aluuvial mining and now new mining operations awaiting final approvals to go deeper into the hard rock mining.
Of course the Rick's ears opened to this.
We left Braidwood and headed out to the Araluen area (township)/ Not a lot visible except nice farmland but Rick did spot what appeared to be old tailings. (After further research this area was dredged similar to what we have encountered in NZ)
We left there to head to look at "The Big Hole" in a National Park, found our way to a bush track of 1.5 hours, and headed off. Whoops a river crossing that was estimated at knee height and with incorrect footwear and no water bottles etc, we decided this experience will be put off for another time.
Hey it is close to an old Alluvial/dredge gold mining area.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb