A Beautiful Day in the Land of Oz


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Tamworth
September 22nd 2013
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tamworth Tamworth Tamworth

From the top of Oxley Lookout, 180o view of Tamworth
Geo: -31.0897, 150.927

Last night we caught the curtousy bus from the park to Diggers Country Club, had tea in Smokey's Cafe and a play on the doggies and keno. The curtousy bus then picked us up to bring us back to the park at 9.45pm. Big night, the venue had big screens showing the football and rugby, Mick usually barracks for the Stormers but last night the crowd were definitely followers of Newcastle, he was not game enough to say anything. They were pretty vocal, so we stayed quite.

We had breakfast this morning and around 10am went to the Tamworth Festival of Woodwork & Woodturning. Very clever the work put into the items on display, some for sale. A nice jewelery box I liked, would have cost me $400. Needless to say I did not buy anything. They also had men demonstrating the skill of wood turning, others who were Blacksmiths making things out of steel, an old skill I did not realize still existed. In another room there was hand made jewelery, which was interesting.

We then went up to Oxley Lookout, amazing view of Tamworth and read a plaque dedicated to Smokey and Dot Dawson, which was a
The Golden GuitarThe Golden GuitarThe Golden Guitar

Me outside the museum of the Golden Guitar.
beautiful story of the two of them and how they created the legend of Smokey Dawson together and how together they lie scattered around the plaque. Tamworth had adopted them and they treated Tamworth as their second home.

Mick and I then went to The Big Golden Guitar - Gallery of Stars Wax Museum featuring Sir Donald Bradman, collection of memorabilia, which was really good, the wax figures were very life like, as well. The memorabilia of Sir Don Bradman was incredible and was worth seeing, one bat for sale was $1000, plenty of pictures of the Don to buy. The collection covered his life and different bats for each game he played, with signatures of all the team he played with on each bat. Even had photo's of the Invincibles from the Ashes tours in 1930 -1948.

Had lunch then came back to the van, to rest. A man just knocked on the door and asked Mick if he was Mick O'Connor, then handed him his wallet which Mick dropped in the toilets and did not realise. Thank goodness for honest people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Wax MuseumThe Wax Museum
The Wax Museum

Smokey Dawson
Bradman MemorabiliaBradman Memorabilia
Bradman Memorabilia

The room was full of different memorabilia of Sir Donald Bradman
Wood TurningWood Turning
Wood Turning

On of the men in this room demonstrating Wood Turning
The Blacksmith'sThe Blacksmith's
The Blacksmith's

Demonstrating their trade.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb