Reflections on Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Airport
October 3rd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sydney Sat


Well avid readers of the blog, I only felt it fair to reflect on the first week's trip of Rob The Poms Aus-O-Rama - I cant believe that I have only been in the country 5 nights, it feels much longer and that to me is a good thing. The Aussie way of life is really something quite hard to beat. Sure they work hard, and that is evident as you walk around the capital and watch the Sydneyers around Circular Quay rushing off the ferries to their work place but what you also note is the work life balance - something the majority of us I am sure would pine for.

There really is no early to work late to finish mentality here, and it almost seems frowned upon if you do. The motivation is the weather, life revolves around it for socialising, beach parties, surfing and the like. It is much more a european feel here - long lunches with work colleagues and glasses of wine, a "no worries" mentality and a it will get done attitude.

And like a surf wave crashing on the shores of Bondi, so this mentality hits you, sweeps you with it and as much as you might want to fight it you can't. Suddenly your in the same zen zone, shoulders relax, you slow down and before you know it "no worries" escapes from your mouth.

The first five days of my tour have been stella, and a great introduction to a fantastic and compact city. The hotel staff seem surprised by the amount I have done, and even some of the ex-pats here are surprised as to my knowledge that I have picked up and be able to regurgitate - this is a truely fascinating city which you don't need guide books or tour guides for - you need your feet, ferries and a sense of adventure. Get lost walking through streets and come across the real Sydney, the bustling bars, the coffee shop culture, Little Italy, China Town, Darling Harbour and the calm of the Chinese Temple. The botanical gardens are truely inspiring and an amazing place to be as the sun rises and sets over the city - i know i go on about these sunsets and dawns but the intensity is truely beautiful and breathtaking and a great way to start the day and end it before heading out for an evening in the city.

I'm not sure that Sydney (like London) ever goes to sleep, it may snooze in the early hours, but there is always something happening.

And so to the five nights here... would I do it again? Absolutely! I've only scratched the surface of this city, and only seen the surface of the cultural diversity this place has to offer. It is an ever changing metropolis with so much to do for whatever interests you and whoever you are. The biggest thing to avoid is the honey trap of the tourist must do's - for sure do some of them, but get walking you don't need a bus to see the city. Highlights to me have to be the Bridgeclimb and the Blue Mountains, both uniquely different and both breathtaking in their own right. The Bonza Bike Tour was a great way to see the city and I'm very glad I did it early on as it helped me plan the rest of my time and go and see the things that I wanted to go and see - and that's the thing - sure if you want to be hearded around the city like some Japanese tourist you can be - but what's the fun in that. Dive in the deep end, get lost, immerse yourself and discover.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb