Homo and away


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Pyrmont
April 7th 2009
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a bout of Denge fever (yes I finally got the real thing) and the rains opening up in Thailand it became obvious we had to fly south for the Winter. All of SE Asia was covered in rain cloud and Australia looked dry. Welcome to Sydney. Decided to stay for a month and so organised a flat share with some Koreans. Planned to buy a car and extend our visa to 9 months so that we could travel the length and breadth of this island. Received lots of advice from various Brits, Irish, Thais, Kiwis and Chinese (are there any Australians here?). Well after three days we met our first Ozzy (he was trying to sell us a copy of the Big Issue). The sun was shining and the beach of Palm Beach beckoned (aka Summer Bay for Home and Away fans). Absolutely fabulous as we had the whole of the headland to ourselves.

Spent some time in the botanical gardens and even went for a tree tour. Much was made of Sir Joseph Banks, an early Victorian botanist, after whom many plants were named Our group was a mixture of Portuguese, Australians, ourselves and a girl from London. The guide asked if any one had heard of the Banksia to which the London girl with pride exclaimed "oh yeah .....Banksy the artist". It was so Kath and Kim we had to leave.

Immigration gave us 5 months to do our travelling and so the car idea faded as we would have to find time to sell it at the end. It's then that John had his mid life crisis and so we are planning to cross the desert on a tandem bicycle! The man in the bike shop rubbed his hands with glee as he had a 3 year old tandem festering in the back that he couldn't shift. We returned to our flat a few thousand dollars lighter. A night on the town was in order, part of our carefully planned fitness programme. We returned to the flat with suitable headaches having danced all night to the worst of the eighties and watching two queens lip sync to old Joan Crawford movie footage (is anyone in Sydney straight?). In the night we were awoken from our slumbers as our Landlord had decided to put his arm through a glass door and had severed an artery. Suddenly we had gone from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert to Bloody Beach or some other Korean horror movie. Rushed to hospital he returned after surgery a few days later.

We returned to the bike shop to spend more on all the equipment required for a three year military expedition John has organised. My major role was to choose the appropriate colour scheme. Our last purchase was some ladies gloves and our Kiwi bike salesmen revealed that his partner also bought womens; are there any straight men in Sydney?

Advertisement



7th April 2009

Your both looking very healthy! Your blog cracks me up
29th May 2009

You two guys are great. And no not ALL sydney guys are gay
Hi Guys Met you in Charleville, Queensland. One of the 4 girls who were travelling, I was the one who came back for a drink (cuppa unfortunately, the others had a Baileys') after the Cosmos Centre. You haven't updated yet! Why? I just been wondering how you have fared. Did you meet up with your lift in Mitchell? Did you get to Canarvon Gorge? What did you think? Are you in Cairns yet? Contact me. I would love to hear from you. You two are awesome! Love you! Marisa
3rd July 2009

What fun!!
Great to read of your adventures. Yes there are straight guys in Sydney, but I met some who were a bit doubtful and I sailed off to Thailand. Love your writing style Pete and Jen (Talang Guest House Phuket)

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb