Back again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Manly
February 4th 2006
Published: February 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are again.

Since the last blog, we've moved around a little.

We stayed in Dee Why for a few days, had a great time chilling out and getting ready for a lot of travelling round to Adelaide. The first day we made for Kiama, quite a nice place with a blow hole in the cliffs. Didn't blow while we were there though because the sea wasn't rough enough, still worth a visit. Next we moved on to Batemans Bay, on the Clyde River. Nice town this, we found some accomodation and went to the local club for dinner and played the Pokies, (slot machines) for a while. The following day we decided to head for Moruya Heads and found a great beach on the South Heads there. Spent a couple of hours there and moved on to Narooma. Had a little run round Narooma in the car and found a golf course, where we had lunch. Lunch wasn't that great but the views from the clubhouse over the course to the sea shore were something else. Drove on from Narooma to the Vctoria/New South Wales border and stayed overnight in a nice little lakeside town called Malacoota. The clouds had come the next morning, so we decided to move on and try and get as far towards Melbourne as possible. Called in at a place called Gypsy Point about 15 km from Malacoota, where the hotel manager said we might see some Kangaroos in the wild. We did, about thirty of them, just loping about on someones lawn. That was great. What wasn't great was that when we were travelling to re-join the Princes Highway, a Roo nearly ran straight into us and I had to do a little bit of sharp breaking. No harm done though but it did make us a little more aware of what you can encounter on Australian roads. Drove across Victoria, in the rain, calling in at Lakes Entrance, for a coffee and a place called Foster for some provisions. Lakes Entrance doesn't look that bad a place and I'm sure it'd look better without the rain but Foster is probably one to cross off the "must visit" list. Reached San Remo, a fishing town just across from Phillip Island at tea time and got a place to stay for a couple of nights. Went across to Phillip Island, (no ferry required, there's a bridge) and had a drive around. Quite a big Island this and the big attraction are the Fairy Penguins, which come ashore every night at the far tip of the Island. They're only about 30 cm tall and are so cute, how they toddle up the beach to find and feed their young. They appeared at about 9:30 at night and we could actually get close to them by using the walkways through their burrows. This was a really good night and if you're down that way look in on the visitor centre and see the penguins in real life. By the time we'd got started out from Dee Why, (Sydney), there were a few flies about, by the time we'd got into Victoria, there were millions of them to the square inch. (A major drawback to the place). Tried to have a beach day on Phillip Island but the flies really became active and we decided to move on and try to outrun them. Not a possibility I'm afraid and they stayed with us all the way to Adelaide. Next stop though was Melbourne and what a great place this is. The City is a little bit smaller than Sydney, (about 3.5 million people) but is every bit as cool and interesting and probably more so if I'm honest. We spent 2 days there and on reflection should have spent a couple more but never mind. Federation Square is a great place to people watch with a cold beer, South Gate by the river and the Docklands quarter which has just been regenerated are superb and the rest of the City, (which you can travel around on a free tram, getting on and off where you want), is a great mixture of old and new architecture which seem to blend in so naturally, that it all gives off a great atmosphere and makes you enjoy your stay. Melbourne's also the City with the second highest Greek speaking population in the world, the highest is, (probably not surprisingly), Athens. There, another bit of useless information for you. One word of caution if you're going to be in those parts though, make sure you take some trousers and a fleece or someting warm. It really does get cold at night. Moved on after a very enjoyable stay in Melbourne towards "the great ocean road", which we'll fill you in on in our next update.

Hope everyones keeping well.

Janet & Steve E

Advertisement



8th February 2006

We we could join you...after LaJolla!
Sounds great, but I could not leave the perfect weather and beautiful scenery here while we still have time to enjoy our timeshare overlooking the Pacific with marvellous waves today, bringing on lots of surfers! God bless! Seize the moment!!!!

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb