Sea side stay in Manly


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Manly
April 1st 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Deserted Manly Beach A Deserted Manly Beach A Deserted Manly Beach

The only reason for it being this quiet was due to a Tsunami warning that day! Im serious, it was front page on the newspaper the following day.
We made the sensible decision to use the hire car to drop of all our baggage in Manly before returning it back in the city. It was a bit of as mad rush to make it, but we were only have an hour late returning in the which was fine.

Manly is a beach area in the North of Sydney. To get there via car you have to cross the Harbour Bridge, but the easiest way to reach it is via boat from Circular Quay (By the Opera House).

The ferry takes half an hour and provides some excellent views of the harbour along the way. The three of us arrived mid afternoon and unpacked our stuff. We took a walk into the town centre to check it out, and as we were staying for a couple of days thought we should get some food in from the supermarket.

Matt cooked a meal in the evening and we then headed out to check out the nightlife. The beach had been packed during the day, so we thought night time would be as well. It wasn't really though. I guess being a Sunday evening and just that little bit
The Manly Ferry The Manly Ferry The Manly Ferry

The Manly ferry takes tourists, and communters to and from the City each day. It's the easiest way to reach the city, with the trip taking 30 minutes.
out of the city that Manly only really gets busy on Fridays and Saturdays. Oh well, we were leaving on Tuesday night so wouldn't get to find out whether this was the case or not.

The following morning I got up, and walked down stairs to the kitchen, looking forward to some nice fresh orange juice and eggs and bacon that we had bought the day before. When opening the fridge, I realised that all our food, eggs, bacon, yogurt, milk, juice, butter, had been taken. The only thing left was three tomatoes, which i didn't fancy for breakfast on their own. The Pikey Bastards!

It turned out others had also had stuff taken during the night. On rare occasions if someone doesn't close the front door properly, people walk in off the streets and do their weekly shopping FOC. The owner of the hostel was fairly helpful, in that she put a fridge in our room, so once we had replaced all our food, we could at least keep it in there.

Putting aside the breakfast mishap it was bright sunny day, so we thought we'd spent it on the beach. It was packed the day before and thought it would be again. Our hostel was literally 50 metres from the beach. We got down there and it was pretty quiet. We put this down to being a Monday, but we shortly found out when a message on the beach tannoy informed beach goers that there was a Tsunami warning in the area. There had been a large earth quake in the Soloman Islands earlier, and parts of east coast Australia, for example Cairns had been evacuated to higher ground.

At the time we didn't really this the warning was that serious. There was still people in the sea and the last thing this guy said on the tannoy was he update every one at 1pm. So we stayed on the beach, but keeping an eye on the water levels. In the end, nothing happened, but it did make front page on the newspaper the following day.

Our days in Manly were fairly chilled out, the night life was quiet being mid week, but still we all enjoyed being staying there. On the Wednesday morning we left and caught the ferry back to the city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Moon Rising Moon Rising
Moon Rising

The moon reflects off the sea not long after sunset on Manly Beach.


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb