New Year's Eve


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Harbourside
December 31st 2007
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we decided, along with everyone else, that we would spend New Year's Eve in Sydney Harbour! Along with thousands of others (mainly travelers), we spent the day queuing and then sitting in the sweltering heat waiting for one of the best fireworks displays we've ever seen.

We decided to go for a point in the Harbour where we'd been before and had one of the best views of the Opera House and the Bridge - Mrs Macquarie’s Point. Unfortunately so did 22,000 other people and even though we got there at around 11am (13 hours before the main event!) this clearly wasn't early enough! We stupidly thought that we wouldn't have to queue for too long and that we'd still be able get an unobstructed view - but how wrong could you be!

After queuing for over an hour (snaking around the streets and parks of Sydney) we made it in and starting looking for a good vantage point. We soon found out that people had been queuing since the early hours and all the best views where taken!!!!

We got a spot under a tree with quite a good view of both the bridge and the Opera House (although a few trees in our view) but after a few hours, the sun moved and we were in the blistering heat! As we couldn't take the heat we packed up our picnic and headed to a nice shady spot away from the madness in an area we'd previously walked past on the way into the park! It was under a big tree with a good view of the bridge but no view of the Opera House - it also had a fence in the way so photos weren't so great!

We had a really long, but chilled out day - reading our books, having a picnic, playing cards and talking to others. There were fireworks at 9pm and 12 and both were amazing - it was worth the wait.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0908s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb