My itinerary


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Erskineville
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

USA

Los Angeles (18 - 21 June)
West Hollywood and Disneyland with Matt

San Francisco (21 June - 5 July)
Gay Pride with Matt and friends


CUBA

Pearl of the Caribbean Tour - 7 days (8 - 14 July)

Day 1: Havana
Arrive Havana. Transfer to your colonial style hotel overlooking Parque Central and a short walk to Old Havana.

Day 2: Havana
Morning tour of Havana visiting the major sights of the city including the historic Plaza de Armas, Cathedral Square, Museum of the Revolution and Revolution Square. After lunch, visit the Havana Club Rum factory and Finca Vigia, the former Cuban home of Ernest Hemingway. Traditional dinner of Cuban cuisine and entertainment.

Day 3: Havana - Cienfuegos
Travel east through sugar plantations to the city of Santa Clara - final resting place of Che Guevara. Visit the museum and mausoleum. Continue to Cienfuegos, the “Pearl of the South”.

Day 4: Cienfuegos
Depart for Trinidad, a UNESCO heritage site and one of the best preserved colonial cities in the world. Enjoy a guided walking tour of Trinidad and then the afternoon at leisure. Return to Cienfuegos for dinner at the elegant Palacio del Valle restaurant, overlooking the bay.

Day 5: Cienfuegos - Pinar Del Rio
Morning city tour of Cienfuegos. After lunch, depart for the Pinar del Rio province to your hotel situated deep in the Sierradel Rosario Nature Reserve.

Day 6: Pinar Del Rio
Depart for the Vinales Valley, with plenty of stops to absorb the beauty of the area. Boat ride through the El Indio limestone cave system and lunch at a countryside ranch. Dinner provided in the home of a local farmer.

Day 7: Pinar Del Rio - Havana
Visit the local community of Las Terrazas, followed by a cooling swim in the San Juan River. After lunch, return back to Havana airport or hotel.

Cayo Levisa - 2 nights (14 - 15 July)

Havana - 6 nights (16 - 21 July)









MEXICO



Copper Canyon Tour - 5 days (21 - 25 August)
http://www.chepe.com.mx/

The train route through the Sierra Madre mountains between Los Mochis and Chihuahua, is Mexico’s most scenic rail journey. Copper Canyon is one of those places that has become legend. More than just a single canyon, the vast system contains 11 river gorges each more than 3,000 feet deep (three of them deeper than Arizona's Grand Canyon). Together, the Mexican canyon system is the largest in North America -- four times the size of the Grand Canyon -- and the second deepest at 6,165 feet.

Day 1: Los Mochis
Make your way to your hotel.
Overnight: Plaza Inn. http://www.mexonline.com/plazainn.htm

Day 2: Los Mochis - Divisadero
Transfer to the station. Train to Divisadero.
Overnight: Divisadero Barrancas. http://www.hoteldivisadero.com/

Day 3: Divisadero - Creel
Board the train for the trip to Creel.
Overnight: Parador de la Montana. http://www.hotelparadorcreel.com/

Day 4: Creel - Chihuahua
In the afternoon continue to Chihuahua.
Overnight: Palacio del Sol. http://www.hotelpalaciodelsol.com/

Day 5: Chihuahua
Transfer to the airport.



Colonial Mexico Tour - 15 days (26 August - 9 September)

Day 1: Arrive Mexico City
There are no planned activities so check into the hotel and enjoy the city.

Day 2: Taxco
Our first stop, historic Taxco, will delight you with its twisty cobblestone streets, and picturesque squares all tumbling down a steep hillside. One of the most well preserved Spanish colonial silver cities in Mexico, you will enjoy strolling among the handmade silver jewelry shops and taking in the atmosphere.

Day 3-4: Acapulco
One of Mexico’s principle beach resorts, Acapulco with its dazzling beaches and glitzy hotels and discos, is spread out along a large bay facing the sparkling Pacific Ocean. A snorkeling/boat tour gives us the opportunity to glimpse the beautiful world that lies just under Acapulco’s inviting waters, as well as see the city, and the Bahia de Acapulco while relaxing on the boat. We hop on the bus that runs around the bay for opportunities to sunbathe in hidden coves or go to the more popular beaches for water-skiing, parasailing, or to ride a water bicycle! Don’t miss the famous clavadistas (cliff divers) at Le Quebrada.

Day 5: Playa Azul
After traveling along the scenic coastal road we arrive at the small beach town of Playa Azul, for a peaceful sunset swim and fantastic seafood dinner. Relax in a hammock with a cold cerveza!

Day 6-8: Puerto Vallarta
Continuing along the coastal road passing uninhabited beaches, mango, coconut, and papaya plantations, our destination is the world famous Puerto Vallarta, which is stretched out along the lovely Bay of Banderas. A former quaint seaside fishing village, Puerto Vallarta is now a vacation destination for many travelers, with its charming old town, seaside promenade and multitude of inviting white sand beaches. Here we can take it easy or partake in snorkeling, scuba diving, windsurfing or even a whale watching trip.

Day 9-10: Guadalajara
The most “Mexican” city, Guadalajara can boast about being the birthplace of mariachi music, tequila and sombreros. The second largest city in Mexico, it’s filled with museums, historic buildings, and nightlife. Strolling about the elegant downtown, take in the giant twin towered cathedral, plazas and theatres. Also check out the Mercado Libertad, a three story market covering four city blocks. In nearby Tequila, we take a distillery tour to learn how this famous beverage is distilled from the Blue Agave plant -then try a sample!

Day 11: Guanajuato
For two centuries 30 to 40 percent of the world’s silver was mined here leaving behind an opulent Spanish colonial city at the expense of the indigenous people. Guanajuato is a living monument to a prosperous turbulent past. Walking is the ideal way to see this unique city that is crammed into a valley, with twisting narrow alleys and underground tunnels.

Day 12: San Miguel de Allende
This charming colonial town filled with artist and galleries is set upon a slope overlooking distant hills and plains. Some of the best handicrafts and folk art shopping in Mexico can be found here. Visit one of the numerous cultural institutions or just relax in a café on square.

Day 13-14: Mexico City
Welcome to the largest city in the world!! This fascinating multi-layered megatropolis is home to an endless list of cultural wonders, the best anthropology museum for Mexican archeology, the largest plaza (the zocolo), the Zona Rosa, many Aztec historic sites, and a vibrant street life at all hours. We will visit Teotihuacan, site of the awesome Pyramids of the Sun and Moon and Mexico’s largest ancient city.

Day 15: Depart Mexico City











Sombrero Tour - 28 days (15 September - 12 October)

Day 1 to 7: Arrive Mexico City - Teotihuacán - Puebla - Oaxaca - Monte Albán - Tehuantepec - Sumidero Canyon - San Cristóbal
To the great ancient ruins of Teotihuacán dominated by a series of massive pyramids. We move on to the grand city of Puebla with a great plaza and red-roofed houses. We head to Oaxaca where there’s an afternoon to explore the colourful markets and colonial buildings of this beautiful city. The nearby Zapotec ruins of Monte Albán are also visited and feature a market plaza and many tombs. A stop at the ruin site of Mitla (optional to visit), known as “The Place of the Dead” before travelling on to the town of Tehuantepec for an overnight stop. We now enter the delightful Chiapas Highlands and stop for a speedboat trip up the Sumidero Canyon, over 1,000 metres deep. San Cristóbal is a beautiful colonial town with much to see and there are many attractive native Indian villages in the area to visit.

Day 8 to 12: Agua Azul - Palenque - Campeche - Uxmal - Mérida
A scenic drive down the twisting highway to the lowland plains where we stop for a refreshing swim at Agua Azul falls. Palenque is nearby and we have a free day to explore these magnificent Mayan ruins in a jungle setting. On the coast is Campeche, an old walled city where there maybe a chance to see a sound and light show. We travel to the Mayan ruins of Uxmal, famed for its worship of the rain god as it was the only city that relied purely on rainwater. To the magnificent colonial city of Mérida where the plaza is surrounded by archways, restaurants and great markets for souvenir shopping.

Day 13 to 18: Chichén Itzá - Cancún - Tulum - Bacalar - Caye Caulker
The most famed Mayan site of all, Chichén Itzá, is a truly incredible complex with its ball court and massive temple pyramid. A last drive to Cancún, graced with beautiful beaches and great seafood restaurants to enjoy. A drive south to the wonderful ruins of Tulum set above a beautiful beach. Time to relax at the lagoon in Bacalar before heading to Belize City where we take a speedboat to Caye Caulker, a small caribbean island with friendly locals and no cars. Options here include scuba diving, snorkelling or going in search of the elusive manatee, a seal like mammal.

Day 19 to 20: San Ignacio
We now head into the hills to San Ignacio in a tropical jungle setting. There are many optional activities to do in the area to see the rainforest and wildlife including jungle treks, canoe trips, caving or mountain biking.

Day 21 to 23: Flores - Tikal - Rio Dulce - Lívingston
Into Guatemala to Flores, a small town on Lake Peten Itzá. From here we visit the magnificent Mayan ruins of Tikal with an enormous pyramid overlooking the rainforest. There are also lots of smaller ruins to explore and wildlife including the Maya’s sacred howler monkeys. Travelling south through dense rainforest, we come to Rio Dulce (sweet river). Here we stay in cabins on the river banks and take a day trip down the estuary by speedboat, enjoying the scenery on our way to the sleepy Caribbean town of Lívingston. Time to relax and soak up the laid-back atmosphere before returning upriver.

Day 24 to 28: Copán - Antigua
A long drive to Honduras now to visit the excellent Maya ruins at Copán which are still being excavated and house some of the best Mayan art discovered. Back into Guatemala and on to Antigua, the original capital, a beautiful colonial town with quaint cobblestone streets, tranquil plazas and colourful markets. The town has a stunning setting and is overlooked by the massive Agua Volcano. Depart Antigua




















SOUTH AMERICA

Sumoc Tour - 63 days (1 December 07 - 1 February 08)

Day 1 to 18: Quito - Misahuallí - Baños - Cuenca - Punta Sal - Huanchaco - Lambayeque - Lima
From Quito to the Amazon basin for an optional jungle trip then to the hot springs of Baños in the Andes. From Ingapirca Inca ruins through colonial Cuenca to Peru and the beach at Punta Sal. A visit to Lambayeque museum enroute to Huanchaco to see Chan Chán ruins. We visit Sechín and Paramonga ruins on the way to Peru’s bustling capital, Lima.

Day 19 to 34: Pisco - Nazca - Puerto Inca - Arequipa - Chivay - Cuzco - Sacred Valley - Ollantaytambo - Inca Trail (or free time) - Cuzco
To the Ballestas Islands to see wildlife then inland to view the mysterious Nazca Lines. After Puerto Inca is colonial Arequipa with its grand plaza. We visit the Colca Canyon then traverse to Cuzco, once the heart of the Inca empire. The Sacred Valley, Pisac markets and a trek along the Inca Trail are enjoyed. Machu Picchu can also be visited by train.

Day 35 to 47: Sillustani - Puno - Amantaní & Taquile Islands - La Paz - Potosí - Uyuni - Salta - San Pedro
Via Sillustani ruins to Lake Titicaca where we visit the Uros floating Islands plus Amantaní and Taquile Islands. The pre-Inca ruins of Tiahuanaco are seen enroute to La Paz, the world’s highest capital. An optional visit to the mines at Potosí. At Uyuni is the vast Salar de Uyuni, the world’s largest salt lake, before entering Argentina and descending to Salta, a pleasant cathedral city.

Day 48 to 56: Trinidad - Asunción - Iguazu Falls
We travel across the vast Chaco region to Paraguay and visit the Jesuit ruins of Trinidad. The capital, Asunción, has beautiful tree-lined streets while across in Brazil are the Iguazu Falls, the world’s most spectacular. Nearby, we visit Itaipú Dam.

Day 57 to 63: Bertioga - Parati - Rio de Janeiro
We now drive through rolling farmland to the Atlantic Ocean. Along the spectacular coastline to Bertioga then Parati, a delightful colonial town with cobblestone streets. A final journey to exciting Rio de Janeiro.


Amazonia Tour - 42 days (5 February 2008 - 17 March 2008)

Day 1 to 9: Rio de Janeiro - Ouro Prêto - Porto Seguro - Salvador
From spectacular Rio de Janeiro, we travel inland into the mountains to historical Ouro Prêto (Black Gold), a gem mining city. Back on the coast is the resort of Porto Seguro with splendid beaches and where the Lambada dance originated. Next is Salvador, the original capital of Brazil.

Day 10 to 17: Maceió - Recife - Olinda - Praia Pipa - Canoa Quebrada
Maceió is where traditional sail boats, jangadas, can be taken out to a coral reef. Further north is Recife, built on a series of islands and nearby Olinda, a colonial city steeped in history. There are fine beaches at Praia Pipa and massive sand dunes at Canoa Quebrada.

Day 18 to 23: Ubajara - Sete Cidades - Belém
Inland at Ubajara are extensive caves and fantastic views over the Sertão, the desolate thorn-scrub interior. The nearby Sete Cidades National Park has interesting rock formations. Belém, near the mouth of the Amazon, has a bustling riverside market.

Day 24 to 35: Amazon river boat - Manaus - Amazon Jungle - Manaus
We travel upriver by ferry with the locals sleeping in hammocks (available locally) on deck! Manaus, the Amazon’s largest city, is a bustling port filled with traders and markets. This is the best place to take an optional excursion deep into the jungle to see unique flora and fauna.

Day 36 to 42: Boa Vista - Canaima - Ciudad Bolivar - Caracas
Travelling by road again we gradually leave the jungle on our way to Boa Vista. Table-topped mountains and waterfalls dominate the way through beautiful Canaima National Park in Venezuela. To Ciudad Bolivar on the banks of the Orinoco River where there’s the option to fly to Angel Falls, the world’s highest at 979 metres. Last is the busy capital city of Caracas where this trip finishes.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb