On the Eve of Departure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darlinghurst
April 12th 2009
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's Easter Sunday and we are moving toward tomorrow morning's departure for Rome when there will be only 36 hours of delightful :-[ air travel between our familiar cityscape outlook and a whole new view in the Eternal City. Probably somewhere between Hong Kong and Zurich the only thing that will feel eternal is the plane flight. Ahh the tyranny of distance so familiar to many travelling Australians, although on the upside it is always a great rationale for staying at the trip's destination for as long as possible. Or at least this is the excuse that we use.

At the moment preparations are in train and panic levels are at a minimum, with Dianne tying up some loose ends from work (grants, budgets etc) plus readying things for packing. With all our clothes laid out it occurs to us the we do have quite a bit of black in our wardrobe - maybe we have become just a bit too Darlinghurst since moving here 6 years ago.

The lead up to leaving this week has been a mixed bag, with earthquakes wreaking some terrible damage and loss of life about 100kms from Rome; not a great prospect to be heading toward. On the upside we were surpised and delighted to have a phone call from our host in Rome, Massimo. We will be staying at his apartment - Rome_Is_Home - just off the Campo de Fiori, although unfortunately we will not be able to meet him, Biancamaria and Delfina face-to-face as they are working on a major arts project to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Futurists' manifesto which will keep them busy while we are there. This is a pity as the exchanges with them over the past 4 months during our preparations have been quite lively and enjoyable.

Anyway, a Last (Sydney) Supper for us this evening to celebrate Easter and our adventure ahead.

Roll on tomorrow!!

Advertisement



12th April 2009

happy landings!
The apartment looks terrific! I know you will have a fabulous time, and I'm looking forward to travelling vicariously!
12th April 2009

Have a wonderful time. We are green with envy and can't wait to hear about it.
12th April 2009

we'll miss you too!
Yes, Peter (and Dianne, of course). We'll miss you too! You are two wonderful people and we truly hope to have the opportunity to meet one day. We are really happy you'll come and stay at our home. Have a wonderful flight! A big hug Massimo and Biancamaria
13th April 2009

arf ya bleedin luck!!!
bon voyage and have a wonderful, fantastmagorical time! love JR
14th April 2009

Black is back
So you have a bit of inner city black in your wardrobe huh? Seems to me like it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black...get it?!:)
14th April 2009

happy roaming!
The apt. looks wonderful and brings back great memories of my visit to Rome which was too long ago. Can't wait to read your posts. Too much black can be solved by lots of shopping!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb