Coogee - Bondi.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Coogee
July 18th 2010
Published: July 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Coogee - Bondi


Bit of a timeless classic this trip and everyone was amazed to hear it had taken me so long to do it. It all happened a while ago now, a couple of days after the trip to Palm Beach, so I'm a bit hazy about the exact details. I do know I caught a bus from central and rocked up at Coogee just as it started to rain a bit. It's always funny being by the seaside out of season: you get the same atmosphere wherever you are in the world and walking around Coogee in the drizzle dragged me straight back to England. It seems to be a bit more laid back than Bondi with fewer posers and fitness freaks. Be great to come back in the summer when it must really come to life. I've got a mate at work who starts early so he can bike down there and be splashing around in the surf by 4pm, which I'm sure he does just to make me jealous. If we win Lotto it might be me one day...

The footpath follows the coast north through one great bay after the next. It takes a couple of leisurely hours to do if you take time out for a coffee here and there, so it's perfect for an afternoon out. The beaches between Coogee and Bondi are easily the best. If you don't fancy the walk, catch a bus over to them and don't bother visiting the more famous two. Too be honest, they're overrated.

The poor weather meant the surf conditions were even more brutal than they had been a few days earlier at Manly, so it was only the big boys out for a play. Spent quite a bit of time watching some lads on body boards doing 360s and pulling up just before smashing into the rocks. There was a speedboat steaming about offshore, spending more time out of the water than on it and more people fishing than I've seen since I got here. They were even fishing off the beach at Bondi, lobbing baited lures out into the breaker by the looks of it.

Think Gordon's Bay was the nicest surprise. The small boats laid up at one end looked a real treat and will no doubt end up in a Chuckster painting one day. Waverly Cemetery gives you a shock when it rises up out of nowhere, slope after slope covered in tombstones just like the 'The Good, The Bad And The Ugly'. Bronte and Tamarama Beaches were excellent too, in fact there wasn't anything anywhere along the route that wasn't anything other than brilliant. You can see why so many people recommend it and tell people visiting Sydney to do the walk. There's a little bit of everything to keep you interested and the scenery is nothing less than spectacular the whole way along. It's definitely a must do.

Apparently, a lot of you didn't get the email about the last blog being published, so if you haven't read about the trip to Palm Beach, just hit 'List Entries' and it should be there. Still walking around with half the beach sloshing around in my Converse and everytime I run it seems like another load finds its way out of my sole and into my socks. Brings back happy memories, so, hopefully, it'll stay like that for a while to come. Loads of love to you all. OTBC for the new season (just heard they've beaten Newcastle, so my boss in getting some stick tomorrow!).




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb