Sydney, you were great!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » CBD
January 31st 2018
Published: January 31st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Fireworks!Fireworks!Fireworks!

Although a picture can never capture the beauty of fireworks, this gives you an idea ;)
As important as first impressions are, Sydney certainly knows how to make a good one. We arrived on Australia day and went to celebrate that at the Circular Quay. It was packed with people, there was live music from several artists, and oh.. those fireworks. I've seen firework shows before, but try to beat a firework show where jet skies are racing around the water firing off fireworks with the Sydney opera House on the background and reflections of the fireworks on the water. It was magical.

After planning our next adventure (think rainforests, scuba diving and more!), we went to the Home bar: a multi-level nightclub with house, R&B and hiphop in separate rooms. The hostel had arranged a bus to the Home bar and we met a lot of nice people: I really enjoyed my first night of going out in Australia!

The next morning, after enjoying some (FREE!) pancakes, we took the ferry to Manly with some people from the hostel. Our plan to go swimming "fell into the water” 😉 as multiple sharks had been spotted in the bay. We just played card games in the sand instead, the view from the ferry was pretty enough anyway! After Manly, we walked around the rocks and to the Sydney Opera House. Or Houses, actually, because it consists of 3 separate buildings as far as I could see (just very near each other).

After the closed beach on Sunday, we still really wanted to go swimming and went to Bondi Beach. Both the beach and the views from the coastal walk were gorgeous. We came back to some more free food from the hostel: hotdogs! I can't imagine how much this hostel spends on free food for its guests, because the queue was unbelievably long and that was after half of the people already had their hotdogs.

On Tuesday, we went to see the blue mountains, since it's relatively near Sydney (which here apparently means that it takes 3 hours to get there with public transport). It was so worth it. We did the Grand Canyon Walking Trail and thanks to its many steps up and down (my legs are killing me now), we saw the high and dry parts as well as the more humid areas down in the canyon. It was gorgeous, and the feeling of being all alone surrounded by nothing but trees, rocks and some creeks was immensely impressive.

We got back just in time for the free burger night at the hostel (I've never enjoyed food more than after this 3,5 hour hike) and were talked into going to a bar since we would have 1 free drink and it was happy hour!

It feels weird to leave Sydney again, we met so many nice people, but I'm super excited about our next adventure. Cairns, here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Reaching for some water dropsReaching for some water drops
Reaching for some water drops

But since the water is invisible in the picture, now it looks a bit weird


4th February 2018

Sharks
Unfortunately the waters around OZ are full of sharks, smart girl not taking a dive. ;) Looking forward to read your next blog! Curious about the new adventures.
4th March 2018

Free!
Haha! Every free food moment allows you to extend your amazing trip with one extra day! ;) Lol @ the "ferry" nice group photo!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb