The Countdown


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Newcastle
February 6th 2011
Published: February 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The countdown is on to losing friends, thanks to the iphone app "countdown" and the daily countdown status updates to departure. There are now 43 days 17 hours and 47 minutes until we take off, and about 11 hours until that is updated on facebook.

After discussing the idea for about a week with Alison we dropped into the travel agent to discuss a potential africa / europe trip for a couple of months. Our travel agent had conveniently found us a very special price for a safari that was expiring in a week. Of course, we thoroughly discussed the idea and noted down the pro's and con's... not really, we had breakfast and went back to the travel agent and booked it in!! The trip was booked for March to April and the initial plan was to travel for a couple of months, why not just extend it out another month and do a bit of Europe Al said. I replied "why not stretch it out and finish up at Oktoberfest", and so our rough itinerary was born.

South Africa, Safari up through East Africa, Egypt, Europe.

Once a non refundable deposit was made we thought it might be a good idea to have a look at what we had signed up for. Camping, no toilets, hot dry days and cold dark nights and a few thousand km's. I have asked Al to go on several camping trips in the last few months only to be met with a complete lack of enthusiasm. Needless to say Al is dreading the safari leg...

All planning is going smooth, aside from the turmoil in Egypt at the moment but we have 43 days 17 hours and 27 minutes to sort it out.



Advertisement



6th February 2011

lol.... keep blogging...this is good. hope egypt sorts itself out for you guys.... im with alison on the no enthusiasm of camping.. bed and running water a must! but im sure use will have a blast! lucky buggers....i wanna travel! :) lol

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb