I made it here.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Newcastle
February 14th 2008
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I made it~

I have half an hour to write as much as I can, so I'm going to write things quickly, then if I have time I will go back and expand.

I took three planes from Charleston to Cincinnati, Cincy to Los Angeles, then Los Angeles to Sydney. The plane ride to Sydney was 14 hours. I sat crammed up next to a 60 year old preacher who was going to some bush site to spread Christianity. Thankfully he kept his speech to himself for the ride, and was a friendly guy. On the other side of him was a girl from Sydney who had just spent the last year in North and South America, and she was very interesting and helpful with some questions I had. I arrived at 11 p.m. Friday their time and took a close-to-3 hour cab ride straight to the hostel that I'm still at. So I get in the door around 2 a.m. to find my key and welcome pack and sheets, and go straight to bed.

Every day since then has included housing searches and boxed wine. Every day since then has also included rain and cold wind. I still haven't had a chance to swim because the water is nearly arctic and there are always warning flags up for the rip curl and jellyfish. I've met a lot of people but haven't really connected with anyone. There are two guys here named Chris and Alex that are pretty cool and I will probably end up hanging out with them a lot this semester. I miss Erin a lot, every day.

As I said a second ago, I'm still at the hostel a week later with nowhere to live, and only 1 open lead. Finding a place on the beach actually turned out to be not such a good idea, because EVERYONE was looking for those places, and I would be content to just live within walking distance of campus. At least my classes are secure, but I found out about registration just a little later than I would have liked, because I was forced to pick up a Thursday morning section for a class that I wasn't expecting. So now I only have 3 and a half day weekends unless I want to skip it a lot. I'm going today to beg the university to let me live ANYWHERE on campus, buy my books, and look for where my classes are.

I am getting a lot of sun but I'm being safe and wearing sunscreen, and only exposing my self for an hour or two at a time before putting a shirt back on. I think I'll probably be healthier when I get back because the meals here are more expensive for smaller portions, and there is less sugar in everything like soda and gatorade and stuff. There's a KFC near the hostel where a "Snack box" is a small box filled halfway with fries, with one big chicken strip laid on top. That's $4. One beer at a pub is $3-$5, depending on the night and where you are.

The hostel is nice but I'm getting sick of living out of a suitcase and sharing a bathroom with 7 other guys. It feels like a dorm, which is fun, but... it's not a dorm. It's an effing hostel with limited internet and computer access that costs $210 a week to live at. The city is nice but there's a housing crisis. Haha. I wish I had come just a week earlier and I would have no problems. I've taken some pictures but there's no way to get them onto this internet station, so you guys will just have to cross your fingers and hope I find some housing soon. I haven't seen any koalas, kangaroos, emus, wallabies, wombats, flying possums, or anything really except jellyfish that have washed ashore. Puffer fish seem to be common too, I'll see a different dead one every day being picked apart by seagulls.

The natives are nice folks. I've picked up on some lingo they use that I'll share with you now. "G'day mate, crikey, righto, cheers, not a drama, she'll be right," and most of all "No worries." Which sucks because I am worried. So stop saying it. Jesus. Ok, 12 minutes left and I've fleshed out a pretty good entry. Let me know what you guys and girls would like to know about the land down under! I miss you all! Especially you, Erin!

Advertisement



15th February 2008

JOSH!
So, I'm going to comment on every post you make. I'm glad you are having a good time in Australia. I hope you find a decent place to live soon. 30 bucks a day is a little pricey for a hostel but I guess you are getting internet and showers and whatnot. Zach has moved into Reed's room. It's nice having him around instead of random guy. General is living it up (just got him some new honey sticks and changed his cage). Hope all is well. Send pics soon. -Chris
16th February 2008

woot.
no housing yet... that is such a bummer. i hope things turn around soon. hostel bathrooms are dirty dirty places. i worry for your hygiene. anyways, keep the updates coming! i love reading them! miss you!
17th February 2008

Gday mate!
haha, glad to see you have discovered the joys of Aussie boxed wine, although you need to call it by its proper name: GOON. and slap the goon sac for me a few times, lol. Things you need to try: vegemite, tim tams, kangaroo, the thai food is also amazing down under. I do remember the uni had day trips for internationals in the first month or so... GO TO THE REPTILE PARK it was awesome, and really cheap.. you get to pet koalas and feed the kangas and emus! Soo excited for you! :D Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll find a place to live soon.
18th February 2008

Update
lvl 44. found a boe epic. $$$$$ thought you'd be glad to hear it. I miss your musk. Furthermore, please find housing. In conclusion, eat a wambat/tickle an emu for me pronto.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb