I'm going to petition Tesco's!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Newcastle
February 8th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well today i went on a trip to the Hunter Valley Region, which is a stunning area of Australian countryside, where i basically got to drink lots more free wine by doing wine tastings at 3 wineries. Again i would add this to my "must come back to list" as there are over 500 wineries here and it would be great to see more of them! We went to Lindemans, and then to Rosemount Estate, where i tried a really nice wine which i think was called a Traminer Riesling. The chap there said they do export a lot of wine to the UK, but he was not sure if we have this one there as they only started making this blend in 2006 but he sounded hopeful. Debortoli's also do one of these - as i bought a bottle later that night when we went to a nice Chinese restaurant for my last night in Oz. Anyhow, back to the daytime - we also went to Mcguigans which is a massive winery. We had a behind the scenes tour, where they explained the different wine making processes for red, white and rose wines, and showed us where it all happens (during which i had to wear some sexy black wellies as i wasn't allowed my flip flops in case anything caustic burned my tootsies!) McGuigans make literally millions of bottles of wines a year, and they have about 50 brands that get exported to the UK that they never get to see in the wine tasting bit - they mainly supply to Tescos. Whilst here, i tried a number of very nice sweet wines - one in a blue bottle called Summertime and another which was just a Traminer, and then a Goerz Traminer, and a few ports, but he doesn't think any of them get exported. So i am on a mission when i get back to try and find someone somewhere to have these wines as i have tried so many nice wines over here and if they can export the rubbish stuff, there is no reason why they can't export the nice stuff too!! It's not like they are expensive wines either - they were all around $10-$15 dollars - divide by 2.4 for sterling! So i reckon a petition to Tescos is in order!! Why should the Aussies get to keep it all here?!

We also went to a nice resort on the way back where there was a chocolate shop selling hand made chocolates... i couldn't resist buying something as it was mango flavour and it looked so cute... look at the photo and you'll see what i mean!

It was a lovely last day and night in Sydney as i fly tomorrow to Christchurch in New Zealand. I will miss Australia, I feel like i am leaving prematurely, but i will definitely be back in the future - there is still plenty that i haven't had the time to see and do. Tim has had an interview this week, and they have asked him to go for a second interview next week, and have asked for references so it is looking very likely he will get to stay here... and if he does he has said that i can stay with him whenever i am over here again!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb