Nambucca Heads to The Entrance


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nambucca Heads
November 25th 2013
Published: December 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Monday 25th

Off early and our first stop is Trial Bay Gaol in Arakoon NP. It's a ruin of a gaol built in the 1800's and used for criminals to build a breakwater and many years later to intern German citizens during the war. It's quite interesting and located in a beautiful spot. Not many interns bothered to try and escape !

We then drive on for about 55 miles and just as we reach our over night site in Port Macquire, it pours again and I have to pull over as the wipers can't cope.

After booking in we drive into town and sort out a lunchtime river cruise for tomorrow. Hope the weather's going to be ok ! we then stock up with more wine before driving round to the town's look out and watch some surfers in action, or non action as it turned out.

We get back to the site just as it thunders and pours again.

Tuesday 26th

This morning we are picked up and taken to the jetty for our 2 hour lunchtime cruise along the Hastings river in a Chinese Junk. All starts well as we enter the mouth of the river but after 45 mins we enter a modern canal system and start going up and down looking at the new houses. We continue to do so for another 45 mins before collecting our lunch. We then do circles in the river whilst eating before returning to the jetty.

A pleasant way to spend a couple of hours but a disappointing journey. At least the weather was good !

We then drive a short distance to the Koala hospital which looks after injured koalas. It's quite sad reading about what's happened to them and particularly the ones that don't make it.

Christine then braves the hairdressers, she's been dreading going but needs must. The result is---------- ok.

We finish the afternoon with a long walk along a couple of beaches and on boardwalks overlooking them. The sea's really rough and there are no surfers in sight.

Wednesday 27th

A drive of about 90 miles this morning to Tuncurry Foster and we reach it by 10.30. After checking out what's on at the tourist office we rent a small motor boat and I buy a hand fishing line and some bait.

With our picnic packed we take to Wallis Lake and chug along through the oyster beds and out around the lake.

We stop for half an hour or so while I drop my line and prawn bait. The fish are biting but are too sneaky for me. My line keeps coming up with a bare hook. We give up and continue our tour around part of the lake. Like everything here it's enormous.

I try once again with my line but to no avail. I think I've got the wrong bait, it can't be me !

After a couple of hours we arrive back, empty handed again.

We book onto a site backing onto the lake and take a 4 K walk through the mangroves out onto a large spit of land. The views over the lake are attractive.

We return to spend the rest of the afternoon around the pool.

Thursday 28th

We stop en route for a short walk to view the bottom end of Wallis Lake before driving off along the shores of Smiths Lake. We stop and take in the view. Another huge lake. The scenery in this area is beautiful.

We then drive for about 45 mins before stopping at the tourist info at Bulahdelah to get some info about Myall Lake, the largest in the lake system. We then drive along an unsealed road for about 7 miles and stop briefly in the NP to view the lake. It’s enormous !

Finally we stop around lunch time at our caravan site on the edge of the lake and book in for two nights.

Afterwards we find that they don’t have kayaks for hire as advertised and there aren’t any walks as we thought. We’re now stuck in the place for two days with nothing to do ! We decide that we’ll move on tomorrow even thought we’ve paid for two nights.

One small benefit is that they have a small landing stage and I decide to try out my fishing skills again. Christine comes along for support and brings her chair and a good book.

After an hour we decide the fish aren’t biting and go for a swim in the pool.

Late afternoon I decide to try again. Christine goes back for a bottle of wine to help things along. I bait my hook and cast out. Five mins later I get a bite and strike ! I’ve got one !! I start to haul it in when there’s a tug and my line snaps. I’ve lost hook, line and sinker. My tackle’s not big enough ! Dejected I throw the rest of my bait in and dump my hand reel in the nearest bin. I need stronger gear for these monsters. I’ll be back !

I meet Christine on the way to see me and tell her what’s happened. We spend the late evening sitting on the beach sipping our wine while I dream of the one that got away.

Friday 29th

We wake to the sound of pouring rain. We leave our site and catch the 2 min ferry ride across the river to the road leading south. We stop along the way at Mungo Brush Camp and Hole in the Wall view points over the beach but can see virtually nothing due to the rain and mist.

Shortly after we stop at Dark Point to look at the huge sand dunes. They're impressive and you could be in Saudi Arabia but we can't stop for long because of the rain. We drive on through Hawks Nest and Tea Gardens on the estuary. We were going to make them an over night stop but decide to drive on as it's still pouring.

We take a side turning to Port Stephens and the rain finally eases off as we arrive in Nelson Bay. We have a fish and chip lunch on the quayside run by the fisherman's co op. It's good but not as good as the Fish and Chips in Margaret River.

We take a brief walk along along the front and I nip into a fishing tackle shop and stock up with a rod, spare hooks and sinkers. I'm ready !

The rain starts again and we take a quick drive out to Little Beach and Fingle Beach. We decide there's not much else we can do so we just drive on with the rain and wind getting worse. By 5 pm we are in Stockton across the river from Newcastle and stop for the night. It's been the worst day for bad weather since we left the UK.

Saturday 30th

Another very rainy morning. We drive into Newcastle and search out the shopping centres without much luck. Christine manages to buy me a birthday present from I don't know where but she didn't get much choice so who knows what I'm getting.

We drive on through the suburbs towards Lake Macquire and stop at Swansea just after the rain stops ! We drive out to Caves Beach and take a 4 K walk along the cliffs before driving round to Galgabba Point for another 2 K walk. It's the first time we've been able to stretch our legs for a couple of days.

Late afternoon I find a quiet little jetty to try out my new fishing gear. The rod and reel work fine but there's a problem with the fish. They're not biting at least not for me after spending an hour staring at the water. The chap next door cast out and catches one second time out ! Just lucky I guess !

Sunday 1st

We drive for about half an hour and stop at Catherine Hill Bay, a small mining village but can't see any remains. There's a surfing competition on the beach but unfortunately we can't watch due to the pouring rain.

We drive on and stop at the road side to have a walk on the Lilly Pilly trail. Unfortunately it's not well marked and we end up going around in a circle and give up !

We arrive at The Entrance, a strange name for a place. It's a seaside town that boarders the sea and Lake Tuggerah. It's a nice seaside resort. The lake is huge and we take out a small motor boat and cruise around the lake. I take along my fishing road but they're not biting again !

The sun's come out at last and it's a nice afternoon. About time !

We book into a site bordering the sea and have a walk down to the beach. It's another fantasic sandy beach. The whole coastline is full of them.

In the evening we go to the local golf club for Sunday roast. Our first since leaving the UK.

Advertisement



2nd December 2013

Not for general release
Steve. I know you have been enjoying what can only be described as inclement weather but you need to keep your wits about you. Publicly stating that your tackle is not big enough could leave you open to abuse........ I have also managed to ascertain your levels of alcohol intake by the horizons in your pictures which range from pi***d at Port Maguire to smashed out of your head at Tunggan lake. we'll have to have some photoshop sessions when you get back straightening them out!! Keep the entertainment coming!
3rd December 2013

Straightening things out
Hi Christine says I have to tell you it's my fault the photos are on the slide as I don't give her time to straighten them. Have tried to skype you without any luck. Pleased you still find the blog interesting
2nd December 2013

Nambucca Heads to The Entrance
What's it "The Entrance" to? Looking on the map I'm guessing maybe Sydney! Is that where your hoping to spend your birthday? It looks like, for the man who has everything, that maybe we should all send you some fish as your obviously frightening them all away from the Australian lakes. Did you catch the rugby world cup between the Aussies and the Kiwis on Saturday/Sunday? That would have been quite an experience to join the Aussie fans in a local pub to watch them smash the Kiwis. Anyway we'll raise a few "tinnies" on the 4th as you join the ranks of the 60 somethings. (You do realize that by being down under your going to be 60 sooner than if you'd stayed at home!) Have a good one "Old Fella". Love to Chris xx
3rd December 2013

just The Entrance !
Hi That's all it's called ! yes it's the entrance to some lakes but not all. They have strange names for things out here. We missed the rugby because there was no way of knowing it was on. Spending 3 and 4th in Sydney in an hotel overlooking the harbour, very swish. Please send some good bait, I'm desperate to catch something ! Steve
2nd December 2013

HB2U,HB2U,HBDS,,,,HB2U.
Not even a fish for your birthday. We can't sing either. It was Seb's birthday this week too, he was 9 - a fascinating fact for you! Reckon we've got Skype sorted though so we'll try to be available around breakfast to lunchtime UK time assuming you're about 11 hours ahead of Blighty. Getting away with murder here weather-wise, mild and no snow so far, fingers crossed. Had a few days in Chester last week, went to the zoo but no koalas, sick or otherwise. Saw a baby orang though. Have 6 holidays booked up to July, but that's nothing compared to your scale! Hope to Skype soon. Please try harder to get that fish.D&Cx
3rd December 2013

Birthday
Hi Thanks for the song, out of tune as usual ! We've booked into a very swish hotel in Sydney for 2 days 3 and 4th. It overlooks the harbour, so he's completely blown the budget ! We will be back in our van by Sat, so will try and Skype you over the weekend. Hope Seb had a good birthday bone Steve
2nd December 2013

Personal Problems
Sorry to hear about your problems in the "tackle" department but hopefully things will improve!
3rd December 2013

Bigger tackle !
Hi Have sorted out my tackle ! just waiting to hook something. Hope you're enjoying following us Steve
3rd December 2013

fishing memories
Reading your blog it brought back memories of a fishing trip we all went on with my Uncle Len. If my memory serves me well (maybe it doesn't!) I was the only one who caught anything- five perch- much to the disgust of all the seasoned fishermen, especially as I couldn't even bear to get them off the hook to throw them back! Happy days!! Enjoy your big birthday!
3rd December 2013

Too Big
Hi Thanks for the good wishes for my birthday, just can't believe where all the years have gone. Still feel young but getting annoyed at being offered a seat on the bus by youngsters ! Spending 2 days in an hotel in Sydney, budget gone to the wall !
3rd December 2013

Tunggan Lake
I think you should write a book on your adventures - you are a wonderful and talented writer which keeps us amused and interested in all your daily thrills and snags. Perhaps you will once you get back to UK and it would make for compelling reading. Also consider a talk to WI members sometime! I tried writing to your last blog but am not used to this computer or how the photon works as we are not on a landline as yet, Miss you both. Have fun and be safe.
5th December 2013

Thanks
Hi Thanks for your comments about the blog. English was always my worst subject at school, so perhaps I've improved ! I'm not sure I could do the public speaking bit though. Hope you're keeping well and have a good Christmas Stephen & Christine

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb