Day 23 - Balranald to Moama


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Moama
February 18th 2009
Published: February 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today I took the 'scenic' route from Balranald to Moama. Rather than going directly to Swan Hill and then along the Murray Valley Highway to Echuca, I went the longer way via Moulamein and Deniliquin. I stopped in Moama for the night because staying in NSW makes me feel as though the holiday freedom will continue for a little longer. The Moama Riverside Caravan Park is a very quiet park with a very pleasant pool to relax in or beside, but the campsite was dry dusty gravel and took the prize for bending the most tent pegs of any that I've stayed in on this trip.

Because the riding today was mostly unexciting, I'm going to give a few 'trivia' facts. (There might be a test later)

Moulamein
Moulamein is the oldest town in the Riverina and had the first Police Station and Court House is the area. Prisoners from Albury were once transferred to Moulamein for trial because Albury lacked those facilities.
It also boasts a River Red Gum with a circumference of 11 metres, but I can't vouch for that because I couldn't find it (couldn't see the tree for the forest?)

Deniliquin
Deniliquin is the site of the annual Deni Ute Muster which attracts about 5,000 ute drivers and holds the Guinness World Record for the most utes ever mustered in one place.
On a more serious note for the Kiwis among us, it was on the Wanganella sheep stud nearby that the Peppin Merino was developed. As many as 70 percent of today’s Australian Merinos are said to be directly descended from the Peppin-developed sheep.

Moama
Moama is famous for being on the North side of the Murray River at Echuca.

Distance Travelled Today - 304km

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb