A Walk Fit For A Prince


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
April 13th 2016
Published: April 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hat and I went to a French bakery to buy bread and pastries and we all converged to the eating area for breakfast. Cas and I sorted out our stuff and bought a picnic whilst the kids watched a movie and then we lugged our bags about 29 mins down the road to our hotel for the next two nights, called Lilian Fels.
We took off straightaway to the Prince Henry Cliff Walk. It has the most amazing views, vivid orange sandstone outcrops rising up a huge canyon and the blue-green of the euclyptus forests which covered everything for as far as the eye could see.
We arrived at Echo Point which gave great views of the Three Sisters, 3000ft outcrops which are sacred to the Aboringines.
From Echo Point we took the Giant Stairway past the Three Sisters and down to the trail in the valley. It was 900 steos and many of them had been carved straight into the rock. From the bottom it was a 2 hour walk through the forest to our point of re-ascent, so we did about half an hour before stopping for our picnic on a big rock. We've been at pains to educate the kids that they can't wander into the bush or climb a tree unless it's been checked out as there will be spider and snake risks throughout most of the rest of our travels.
Our means of ascent was the world's steepest passenger train. We all climbed in and then we were off; it is ludicrously steep. Hat said it was like a roller coaster.
From the top it took about another 30 mins to complete our walk back to the hotel. A great day and we were all a little weary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1141s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb