I love the mountains, ...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
December 29th 2009
Published: December 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

After 3 weeks holiday it's time to start working but first I will share the beauty we saw with you.

In brief, I went with my sister Goele for 10 days to Katoomba village in the Blue Mountains and afterwards another 5 days to Sydney and.... I really enjoyed!!! We made wonderful tours in a landscape that changed from a very hot dry forest with the deafening screaming of cicada-males, to wet rainforests with oh so beautiful tree ferns. We always took 4 liters of water with us and that was really a must. First of all because of the heat but also because of the pretty tough climbs. The "problem" of a canyon, as we experienced, is that you always have to get in and get out again 😊

But, it was worth the effort because the views we had at times were making you dream, we saw some awesome little creatures and just enjoyed being outside. The last days were rainy and misty but we decided to risk a walk anyway (we choose a less steep one) and it was a good bet because it made the forest even more mysterious and very quiet and... we saw the Lyrebird!! (or at least we think we saw)

Sydney is big, impressive and with a very luxurious youth hostel since it was brand new. We did some "touristy" things but they were really interesting and worthwhile. I learned a lot at the aquarium about the dangerous and not so dangerous crocodiles (which they call "salties" and "freshies"), jellyfish and fish I can encounter during my fieldwork. At the Australian Museum we could check the birds and reptiles we saw in the mountains ánd there was a beautifil special exhibition with the pictures of the contest for the Wildlife photographer of the year, really amazing pictures!

On Xmas eve (which Aussies don't celebrate) we went out eating Thai (new for both of us and really nice) and afterwards we went to the harbour for a big ice-cream and my first cocktail (which I didn't like by the way, I just don't seem to be an alcohol lover). On Christmas day, of course we went to Bondi Beach at around 17h, just to have a look what it is they make all that fuss about and... they know nothing about organizing a festival! There was really nothing to see on the beach and around, except for lot of teenagers hanging around, scantily dressed (with Xmas hats of course) but with lots of make-up, carrying supermarket bags with alcohol (although there was a strict security check to avoid alcohol on the beach and in the dance-hall so we didn't understand why they brought it anyway?). But there were no little stalls with food, art stuff, animation or music, nothing to make it an enjoyable atmosphere at all, very strange.

You know what we did the last day? Going to the Belgian chocolate cafe with a view on all the little lights at the harbour. Although cliché, they are right: the Bridge and the Opera house are impressive and certainly at night.

Now I have to start working (although I am whole alone at the office I have the impression 😱

3 NY kisses,

Nele



Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Can you see it?Can you see it?
Can you see it?

When passing I thought I saw something and did a step back. First I though it was just a leave but then I saw it, incredible no!!
Risky bussinessRisky bussiness
Risky bussiness

These tours we liked most since you met (almost) nobody, so now noisy tourists ans more chance to see something
Dead trees everywhereDead trees everywhere
Dead trees everywhere

Our trip to Vera Falls was very adventurous as the path was not clearly indicated and there were dead trees we had to climb over everywhere, really fun!


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1108s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb