Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

First stop on our epic trip though Australia! Left Sydney this afternoon after being busy busy picking up the campervan, organising the rest of the trip and packing up. Driving again for the first time this year was a little stressful and doing it in the center of Sydney possibly wasn't the best place to do it but it went pretty well!! Slightly panicing about spending 2 months in the van but it's pretty nice, it's 2007 reg so not to old and does go at some speed occassionally so we're not crawling around. It's relativley ok to drive except it brakes a lot slower than my car at home so having to remind myself of that or there might be a nasty accident soon! There's a giant picture of a boxing donkey on the side and lots of other random pictures. It might as well have a giant sign saying 'Tourists who have never driving in Australia before'! Driving here is pretty similar to at home except quite often the slow lane disappears and you find yourself having to merge into the fast lane.

So set off from Sydney at 3ish after Robyn, Siov's friend had made sure we were all set! I drove since my navigation skills are zero and Siov knows Sydney pretty well after being here since February. So we drove along getting lost before we'd even started but much easier to navigate here than in the UK because the towns are all in blocks with straight roads, nothing like the nightmare of Brighton.

Arriving in the Blue Mountains it started to rain and obviously was already dark so we've decided to spend tonight in a hostel, in my opinion very sensible! The cold weather (it's October/November weather here, cold and rainy without the biting coldness) is crap and I miss the sunny climate, already feeling like I'm getting the winter blues and my skin is crap after a few days in the 'cold'. Although in some ways it's nice not to fry everytime you leave the aircon I'm definatley a shorts and t-shirt person not jeans and 3 layers!

Tomorrow exploring a bit of the blue mountains, which I didn't get to see much of seeing as it's already dark. Siov's already done a trip up here so we're hoping to avoid the touristy areas she's seen and see something a bit different! Leaving here tomorrow and heading back to the coast where hopefully it won't be raining and will be camping weather again!

Advertisement



20th May 2009

Timelapse
can't believe you guys have met up already! though I spose you have been jetsetting for a while now... try not to kill anything with that van! =D

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb