Jenolan Caves


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
December 28th 2006
Published: December 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed off on a bus trip to the Jenolan Caves - a massive complex of cave's (some 300+ different cave systems)

The trip out to the Caves took just over an hour and a half from Katoomba - and we went through some great Bush and Farm lands.

Several Eastern Grey Kangaroo's were sheltering under the tree's from the midday heat and there were numerous Cockatoo's flying around the tree's en route.

The entrance to the Cave site was through a huge archway in the moutainside called the Grand Arch, and once we arrived we were quickly sent off down to our first cave to start the tour.

Our first Cave was Lucas Cave - one of the largest in the area is an hour and a half walk, involving 961 steps and leads 110 metres underground. It had some great big cavern spaces - but wasn't as attractive as the second cave we entered later in the day - The Orient.

The Orient is smaller than Lucas - but the benefit was a smaller group. The main issue in the Lucas cave was overweight people and grannies in the huge group taking absolutely ages to walk around. And we also find Indian and Japanese families always seem to talk over the guide constantly - so much so that we can never hear a thing.

The Orient had much more spectacular cave decorations than the Lucas - some huge curtains, stalactites, stalagmites and other such rock formations.

On returning to Katoomba our legs were aching after so much walking, especially the steps!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenolan_Caves

http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011.3kb