Day 6 - Khancoban to Jindabyne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Jindabyne
February 1st 2009
Published: February 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Australian AlpsAustralian AlpsAustralian Alps

View from just off the Alpine Way outside Khancoban
Khancoban to Thredbo
The Alpine Way from Khancoban to Thredbo is a very tight and twisty road with constant signs reminding about the dangers of falling rocks and slippery surfaces. Much of the road is signposted at 60km/h so there is little opportunity to ride at a speed which leads to dangerous situations. Some of the views are spectacular, with massive peaks in the background and green forests in the foreground.
Again, there are many areas where the main feature is skeletal burnt trees from the fires a few years ago. All areas are recovering, but the effects will be obvious for many years to come.
Thredbo village was quiet compared to how it must be in the winter months, but still had a significant number of people taking part in the various summer activities. It is quite a surprise to see a mountain bike go speeding across a clearing on the other side of the valley which otherwise appears quite deserted.

Thredbo to Jindabyne
The road down to Jindabyne is a very fast highway, mostly downhill with not a lot to see after leaving the valley which contains Thredbo and Perisher. Lake Jindabyne appears enticing after the heat of the ride, but I decided to check in to the Lake Jindabyne Hotel/Motel instead where a decent shower was first thing on the agenda.
After 3 days without mobile phone coverage I caught up on a few voice messages and made a few calls while I wandered around the town to check out the facilities and find an Internet cafe.

Distance Travelled Today - 125km


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

ThredboThredbo
Thredbo

It looks very different in the summer


4th February 2009

Beautiful tracts of land
I'm enjoying the visual tour of the Alpine regions. (You forgot to delete 'Lonely Planet Images' from one of your photos). The scenery is truly scenic, with many magnificent Alp-like objects. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb