Hunter Valley and Port Stephens


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Hunter Valley
October 30th 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hunter Valley Hunter Valley Hunter Valley

full of vineyards
Another road trip on the weekend.

First stop, Hunter Vallley, a wine country that is about 2 hours drive north of Sydney. This place is kind of like Kelowna, full of vineyards and wineries, except it is a lot bigger. Wines are cheap here, but of course quality varies. The Yellowtail wine that we had on our wedding is almost 50% cheaper here! ><" OK, i will bring some back when I leave.

Next day, we headed to Port Stephen after breakfast. Guess what Port Stephens is famous of? Yes, OYSTERS! YEAAAAAAAAH. We went to an oyster farm and bought another 2 dozens of oysters for lunch, wild jumbo pacific oysters and farmed plate osyters for only ~$1 each again!! We like the firm and crispy texture of these oysters, unlike the creamy ones we have in Canada. I will never enough of it!

Port Stephens is one of the most popular city getaway in Sydney, it is only 2 hours drive from Sydney City, but the environment here is quite different. Stunningly beautiful oceans (well yeah, Sydney has that too, but I will never be bored of this view), deserts, seafood, etc.

We joined a local 4WD tour to the beach and sand dune. 11km drive along the shore with ocean on one side and endless desert on the other. We visited the historic Tin City in the middle of nowhere, pipi (like clams) catch and release and sandboarding down a steeeeeep sand dune! Note, it will cost $200 if we take a pipi home, so the "release" part is important, haha.. this is one of the thing that is for native only. Sliding down the sand dune is quite scary, even worse, I couldn't scream because I would get a mouth full of sand if I do. Walking back up the slope after the slide is killing, I wish they had a lift or a belt like what they have on a bunny hill. Aside from the walking part, it's quite fun. However, I think it is only a one-of-a-lifetime thing unless one day they develop a resort out of it and have lifts to take people uphill!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hunter Valley GadenHunter Valley Gaden
Hunter Valley Gaden

Australian version of Butchart Garden
Duck BreastDuck Breast
Duck Breast

With Mango sauce, wasabi sorbet and a bunch of weird tasting sauce
Tempus Two wineryTempus Two winery
Tempus Two winery

Free wine tasting for breakfast
Osyter farmOsyter farm
Osyter farm

Jumbo wild pacific oysters and farmed plate oyster
Sandy beach along the shore Sandy beach along the shore
Sandy beach along the shore

Look at the reflection of the mountain!
Tin cityTin city
Tin city

Not just historical site, some people actually live here!


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb