Thelma and Louise hit the Road!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Hunter Valley
March 9th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Roos in the WildRoos in the WildRoos in the Wild

We found them in the Hunter Valley
Hi guys Lynda here, we've hit the road. Picked the car up and left Sydney with a promise to return one day, I really love it there, but am sure there are more pleasures ahead for us. Anyway with Tina in the driving seat and me the navigator we were off. First stop the Hunters Valley, one of the wine regions in Australia. We arrived about 5ish and for a change it didn't take us too long to decide on our accommodation. We stayed at a brewery called Potters Hotel and Brewery. Had a lovely room, really plush after some of the accommodation we've stayed at and it had a brewery on site with $2.50 "schooners" of lager - hoorah!! and a pool - what more could you ask for!! Wine, I hear you say!! Of course we went on a winery tour - that's the whole reason we were here.

So the next day bright and early we set off for the first of our 5 wineries. Can't remember the last time I drank wine at 10 o'clock in the morning - probably some of you can!! In each one we were given 5 wines to try, a combination
Wine or Beer?Wine or Beer?Wine or Beer?

Couldn't decide so we had both!!
of reds, whites and some rose's. You'll be very pleased to know (especially you Darren) that I didn't "spit" any (no rude comments please!)

Know now why we don't like Chardonnay - its the oak (do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?) and found a red I like - chambourcin. Tina's favourite was a sweet red Shiraz and we both liked the same winery called Lucy's Run. Unfortunately none of the wineries we visited export and only set in NSW and seeing as we're restricted with luggage none of you are getting any!!

To top off the day our guide took us to a place where we saw kangaroos in the wild and we got close enough to take pictures. That night we had our free paddles of beer - A paddle is a set of six glasses (a bit smaller than a 1/2 pint) of all the different beers they make. Again we did you proud we drunk them all!

Next way we were off again this time to Port Macquairie stopping on the way for lunch at a spot recommended by Lonely Planet called Seals Rock. What a little treasure, we were
Seals Rock rocks!!Seals Rock rocks!!Seals Rock rocks!!

What a gem we found here.
driving through quite dense lush forest when all of sudden this haven opened up before our very eyes of beautiful rocky coastline with pale golden sand and the turquoise ocean. It was a dream but very isolated we stopped for a cup of tea but the only place there was the post office/supermarket/everything store but no loo! In the end I was so desparate I had to use the bushes, which became a bit of an ordeal when Tina told me to mind out for the huntsmans!!

(Tina)We had intended to have lunch at Seals Rock but there was nothing available so we drove a bit further and had fish and chips (Lynda had prawns to die for) at a place called Paradise Palms, a big sign outside said that all the fish was caught by Husband, father, 3 son, nephew, brothers, cousins, and next door neighbour, so a proper family affair, anyway it was delicious and set us up for our afternoons drive to Port MacQuarie, arrived there about 5ish and the whole village was starting to close up for the night. We were a bit concerned but then saw a sign for a Sunset Cruise for 10$
Sunset CruiseSunset CruiseSunset Cruise

This one had it all - sunset, dolphins and to die for houses!
which seemed a bit of a bargain and also gave us something to do for a couple of hours.

Set sail, didn't even have a cardi or anything. First he took us all the way around some lakes where all the posh people live, the houses were amazing and each came with their own moorings and little docks, ab fab, a real case of how the other half live. Then as the boat was cruising along a bunch of dolphins came round and starting swimming with us and playing around the boat, it was amazing and we are publishing one of the photos, just hope you can see it properly, it was brill and it was followed by the most amazing sunset. As the boat came into dock a swarm of Flying Foxes (bats) flew over us, there must have been tens of thousands of them, quite an amazing sight but also really smelly. They come every night apparently from local wildlife reserve. It was the best cruise we have had and the cheapest, well worth our time and money.

Had a few beers and made a few phone calls then off to bed for us, another days
We're being chasedWe're being chasedWe're being chased

By about four dolphins - how lucky were we!
driving ahead. Next stop Yamba.

Eventually set off on Thursday for Yamba, with a tourist drive en route to South West Rocks, another amazing place for the scenery and sheer beauty, there is just so much. It was a long drive today but we arrived safely and checked into a Hotel right overlooking the Ocean, it was a bit run down but fine just for a nights sleep. Had lovely showers in what looked like a microwave and then went to a drive in bottle shop as the restaurants in town were BYO, very common here, where they just charge you corkage. Had dinner and a few pints then ready for bed.

Friday meant the last full day driving as we were headed for Brisbane. We had no accommodation booked as yet and had not had much luck on the internet so Lynda phoned Steve our mate from the Metro in Sydney and he phoned Metro in Brissy and voila we had a room, so big thanks Steve, we owe you one!!
Stopped and had a wander round Byron Bay and then had lunch. They had Kangaroo on the menu and just decided to be brave and try
Tina meets SkippyTina meets SkippyTina meets Skippy

No - skippy's on the plate!!
it, it was really quite tasty and I was enjoying it till Lynda took a photo for the blog and said the title would be 'when Tina eat Skippy" put me off a bit and won't be having it again. Please for heaven sake don't tell the children they will never forgive me.

Arrived in the city of Brisbane to find our hotel is extremely well located and the room was lovely. We have been in contact with some friends we met in Bangkok the first time and had arranged to catch up with them during our stay here. Vince advised us to go to the Casino on Friday night which we did, its in the old treasury building and really beautiful, they had a live band on called Lisa Hunt's Forever Soul and they were really very good so a good evening was had by all.

We had made arrangements for Vinnie to pick us up from our reception at 9.15 and he arrived very prompt and we were off for a whirlwind tour of the city and then down to the Gold Coast. I'll put Lynda back on now.

Hi again, Vinny was a star,
Fingals HeadFingals HeadFingals Head

Enjoyed a fish and chip lunch in this Oasis! And we saw dolphins surfing!!
he gave up his day for us and we're really grateful mainly because he took us places that we would never have seen and experience - so "cheers mate - bonzer day". We picked up some fish and chips - on Vinny's recommendation we had deep sea reef fish, and went to a special place of his and Sandy's called Fingals Head - absolutely stunning! We ate our fish and chips on the rocks in total peace and relaxation with ocean on both sides of us and an outreach of rocks in the middle.

Next we went to a place where the states of New South Wales and Queensland meet. The funny thing about this place called Cooolangatta (QLD) and Tweed Heads (NSW) is that they operate different time zones so for half of us it was 3 o'clock and the other half 4 o'clock - wierd stuff!! A few stops and a beer along the way and we were in Surfers Paradise the hub of the Gold Coast but so built up - not for me. By the way the Gold Coast is called that because there used to be meter maids here in gold lamee bikinis (I
Where NSW meets QLDWhere NSW meets QLDWhere NSW meets QLD

Anyone got the time - is it 3 or 4?!
stupidly thought it was something to do with the gold rush!!) On the way home Vinny took us to see the Versace hotel where the celebs stay in I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

We got back to Vinny's and lovely Sandy was there to meet us. We all had a good old chinwag, a few beers and Vinny cooked us a good ol' Ossie barbie. We had rissoles (burger), snags (sausages) and delicious lamb chops, Sandy had done a few salads - potato, green and a scrummy noodle salad - she's letting me have the recipe so expect to try that when I get home!!

One of the lovely things about yesterday was being in a home again - forgot how cozy and comfy they are - it was lovely. Thanks again Vinny and Sandy and hopefully we'll see you in England/Spain where we can reciprocate.

Once we reach NZ TOGA will no longer mean the same as Karen will be joining us on parts of our adventures there so will no longer be Two Old Girls Away but Three Old Girls Away - welcome aboad!!

Love you and leave you for now
Aussie BBQAussie BBQAussie BBQ

Meet Vinny and Sandy.
- tommorrow we're on another adventure to the Whit Sundays - watch this space and keep blogging. We love you all and love hearing from you T&L (still Thelma & Louise) xxx



Advertisement



10th March 2008

Finally, the reason why I don't like Chardonnay!
G'day Sheilas. Glad you're enjoying Oz. I know how much Mark and I loved it but you never know if someone else will think the same. Thanks for working out why I don't like Chardonnay. I now have a good excuse to go up to the bar and ask the bar-person for wine without any oak in! I'm sure that'll go down very well at the local working men's club. Keep blogging and keep safe you two. Love Susie x
11th March 2008

HIYA
Hi girls, all looking good , love the photos of oz as it looks a wonderful place and glad your both enjoying it . Heard from Karen in New Zealand today says shes stuck on where to take you , either to work with Luke or getting you to look after the kids while they go away for the weekend ! ( i dont know you go all that way ! ) Big up for Vinnie and Sandy for looking after you both , very nice of them ( if you got the blog address , thanks to you both x) No new news here accept Tony Draper is here for the darts week in torremolinos ( got a croud with him ) im going down on thursday !! Well take care , enjoy , love Paul x
12th March 2008

offer of babysitting
It's just so not true girls - wouldn't expect you to have the kids while we go away for a weekend, if you'd offered to do that I'd make it a week at least! Enjoy that Ozzie wine, all good training for the superior whites we have in NZ. And I don't mean that White Cloud rubbish either. Did I tell you there are at least 5 boutique wineries within a 10 minute drive of our house? But you have to take us with you ha ha - we've got the car! xx
15th March 2008

JUST A QUICKIE
Bored stiff at work and I swear the hands of the clock are going anti-clockwise!!!! Just caught up with your itinerary for NZ - sounds great - pictures of hunky Maori men please. What are you up to at the moment? Did you take some shots of the Band???!!!**** (joke) bet they were just stunning! Well, am looking forward to reading your next Blog - I´m off riding all weekend - yippee!!! Well, take care girlies, LOLH&K Oh, before I shoot off, Happy Birthday Natalia & Lots of Love to All "Up the mountain" too Chezxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb