Making Hay While the Sun Shines


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Hay
March 3rd 2013
Published: March 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Darlington Point to Hay

Travelled 115kms west on the Sturt Hwy to Hay.

We've found Hay quite delightful. A small town with population of around 3500. A club with good food, well kept homes and a council very proud of their heritage. All the historical buildings have plaques on them explaining the history. The bush walks, parks, the Murrumbidgee, sunsets and the open plains, all add a degree of charm. The people are happy and friendly, so too are their dogs. So an enjoyable week was had by all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Flat Flat FlatFlat Flat Flat
Flat Flat Flat

Travelling across the plains to Hay, this is what we saw.
Sandy Point ReserveSandy Point Reserve
Sandy Point Reserve

This is a freebee camp site, where the wagons come to rest.
Sandy PointSandy Point
Sandy Point

With picnic tables and flushing loos (which we were excited about).
Sandy Point BeachSandy Point Beach
Sandy Point Beach

A lovely sandy beach for a cool off and splash about. We saw the odd water skiier as well.
VisitorsVisitors
Visitors

Lovely to see Jane and Jacquie on their way to Adelaide.
Puppy LovePuppy Love
Puppy Love

Both adoring each other..... as usual.
DrenchedDrenched
Drenched

Fun in the sun didn't last. We did have two days of rain. The first down pour was while I was out walking.
A FlatA Flat
A Flat

Yes our first flat in nearly two and a half years.
WildlifeWildlife
Wildlife

Our resident Goanna. Our resident possum, liked to wee on our clean caravan roof and awning. Arrh!
Post OfficePost Office
Post Office

The town is full of nicely restored historical buildings. This Post Office was built in 1882.
Witcombe Memorial FountainWitcombe Memorial Fountain
Witcombe Memorial Fountain

In 1883 the Mayor, John Witcombe gave this cast iron water fountain, made in Glasgow to the people of Hay. Today it is connected to filtered water, which is a nice bonus.
Dunera MuseumDunera Museum
Dunera Museum

This is the old railway station built in 1882. This helped transport the wool. It is now a museum for the 3 Internment Camps that were in Hay. During WW2 , 6200 German, Italian and Japanese enemy aliens were housed here.
Dunera Boys CurrencyDunera Boys Currency
Dunera Boys Currency

The prisoners were secretly sent to Australia from England on the ship Dunera. We actually met a bloke who was 5 years old when they arrived. The town was not impressed.
Hay WeirHay Weir
Hay Weir

A drive out to see why we have such a full river, the other side dropped dramatically.
Rule BreakerRule Breaker
Rule Breaker

Rules are meant to be broken. All in the name of photography.
SprungSprung
Sprung

Escape route
Picnic LunchPicnic Lunch
Picnic Lunch

We are serial picnickers. Food tastes better in the outdoors.
Sturts Marked TreeSturts Marked Tree
Sturts Marked Tree

We were suppose to find an upsidedown triangle with an arrow and an S on it. Sturt or Superman we ask? No luck, couldn't see a thing.
Try HardTry Hard
Try Hard

Not for want of trying though. We scaled the fence and checked out all the trees, still to no avail.
Murray Downs WoolshedMurray Downs Woolshed
Murray Downs Woolshed

We visited Shear Outback were they had the Hall of Fame, (shearers who'd broken records shearing a huge number of sheep) and an excellent museum.
Rope Tyre TubeRope Tyre Tube
Rope Tyre Tube

This was to make the tyres thorn proof while the shearers were travelling to find work.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb