The east coast adventure begins...


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys!

So YES its been a while since I have updated this thing, but its so easy to get side tracked when you are surrounded by rain forests and beautiful beaches 😊. So what I’m going to do is just do a blog for each city I went to 😊 here it goes...

So it started off with me not wanting to travel alone and finding a girl on the internet from P.E.I. she also didn’t want to travel alone so we phoned each other and the next day she was on a bus to Canberra. We left two days after that to our first stop of Sydney... now I had already been to Sydney on many occasions so we just stopped there for the day and she saw the Oprah house and Sydney Harbour Bridge and some of the CBD (central business district).

That night we took a night bus to a place called Coffs Harbour.... the thing with over night bus' if your lucky you get two seats to yourself and you can sprawl out and sleep and you don’t have to pay for accommodations that night... if you don’t your pretty much uncomfortable for the whole night and wake up completely cranky... Luckily on this one we set up camp on the bus with two seats to each...score!!

We arrived in Coffs Harbour at around 5am... beautiful sunrise... and then the hostel picked us up around 5:30am... we slept for about an hr and then set out to discover our first new city. First stop... as always in this country… was the markets. This country knows how to do markets! And they are EVERYWHERE! After the markets we headed to the beach... our first real big, long beach... Sydney’s beaches are fairly small. We walked along the beach to the end and then started to make our way up to land and then to the next attraction... on our way down this sketchy rocky road, my eyes went to the ground just in time and there was a massive snake... looking back I probably shouldn’t have just grabbed her had and begin to run because she started freaking out lol... but then we went back and took pictures :P so that was the first encounter with one of Australians "top ten most deadliest creatures in the world"... After that we headed to this so-called "Big Banana"which is over 40 years old i have been told... now Aussies have this thing with making things abnormally big. There is the big prawn, the big lobster, the big koala, the big pineapple... and the list goes on... it’s a very weird phenomena. We weren’t really sure where to find this banana... So we asked a few locals. Now here is one thing about Aussies, god love em... They are lazy. Backpackers can walk for miles... and its normal. So we had already been walking for about 45 min, which isn’t that hard. We asked a lady and her daughter how far it was..."Just over that bridge..." ok but we are walking so how do we get there by foot? ..."Oh I wouldn’t walk there... Susie would you walk there? …Never! I know some people that have but I would NEVER that’s crazy"... Ok so how far are we talking here? "Oh its about 10 min!".... 10 min! lol and it really was only about 10-15 min walk... Nothing at all... needless to say we got their saw the big banana * Coffs harbour was one of the first places in aus to make good profit off the banana crop I believe*... that was about all of Coffs Harbour... Apparently it’s the down season and during the up season it’s booming with loads of things to do. Beautiful place, but kind of boring. We left the next day and headed to the next place.... Byron Bay.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



31st May 2006

Big Bananna? *scoff* I've seen bigger.... ;)
1st June 2006

Banana
I don't think Evan knows about bananas

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb