Day 9 Easter Sunday - markets & beaches


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
March 23rd 2008
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Spent some time in the garden, and then decided to go out. Chris wants to stay here so took the car on my own. I have to say I do like the car. I've never driven and automatic before, but it's very easy, and SO comfortable.
Went into town and parked in Gordon Street. then went to tye market which is held on Sunday mornings on the bottom of the Castle Street car park - all in the shade as car park is multi storey. A good part of it was a farmer's market, with all manner of fruit and vegetables - even custard apples like they have in Spain. There were also many people selling plants, as well as clothes, bric a brac, jewellery etc. The unusual thing was a lady selling parrots, which were not all in cages, just sat there on a perch. People would pet them and have them sit on their shoulder before deciding whether to buy them, tyhey could have flown away but they didn't. There were also other birds for sale - ducks, chickens etc on another stall. Fascinating! Went into the shopping centre and posted cards.
Next I drove down Harbour Drive, and stropped at "The Promenade" which is a small collection of shops and restaurants in a beautiful setting overlooking Coffs Creek. You could hire canoes there, and feed the fish. Mangrove Jack's restaurant looked nice, with gorgeous views of the Creek.
Next I went to the jetty, where there was another market, this time held in gazebos like the one Michael has, on parkland near the jetty and beach. There was a didgeridoo band playing in the middle and the stalls arranged around it - it had a lovely atmosphere. Lots of exotic food stalls here as well as many craft items. I only wish I had room to take stuff back!
Walked onto the beach and sat for a while as it is such a beautiful, sunny day. Walked all the way down the jetty, saw the "jetty jumpers" - young people having a good time jumping into the sea from the jetty.
Went back to the house to see if Chris wants to come out, but he's well happy with the house and pool, so off I go again with a request to pick up some beer!
Headed dow the road to Sawtell, as I fancy taking a look at the beach we saw from Muttonbird Island. Took a left turn off the road where a sign siad "lookout", and parked at the car park there. Followed a path from there towards the right, and walked along the headland - absolutely fantasic views. Walked a good way - about half an hour I should think and then came to this magnificent beach. The sign said Murrays beach, but it's not on our map. No road access to it. I can't find any words to describe it, it was just wonderful - miles of perfect sand, a lady with a couple of little dogs and that was it. Took photos and a video - wanted to capture the sound of the surf, which was LOUD!!!!! I could have stayed there all day.
Walked back along the path - saw people going down the rocks to the surf, what a wonderful life the young people here have.
Went back to Coffs Harbour to drive thru liquor store for beer.
Went back to jetty area and parked at the Yatcht club, feeling hungry. Looked around, but decided not to eat down there.
Went to the Botanical Gardens where the was like a community show going on. Different clubs etc. doing there stuff on the stage just lotas of nice people all having a nice time. Stalls selling food - had an amazing lamb curry from a sikh gentleman who spoke with an Aussie accent - wonderful.
Must to back to the Botanical gardens and have a good look around.
Went home, Chris has enjoyed his day.
Relaxed, watched a film with Brenda Blethin in it.













Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb