The Blue Mountains, Port Stephens & Bellingen


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
October 8th 2009
Published: October 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, we escaped the sandstorm in Sydney and thankfully it didn't follow us to the Blue Mountains, though it was still a bit windy and cool! On the way we stopped off at Wentworth Falls, though when you've seen Iguazu Falls in South America nothing really compares! As it was windy the water from the fall actually blew upwards instead of down! We were really impressed with the YHA hostel in Katoomba. It had a very relaxed atmosphere with a lovely art deco social area and fire place (needed for the cold evenings). We went for one of the fab walks around Katoomba where we got great views of the Three Sisters and eucalyptus covered canyons creating the blue haze. After walking down 900 steps (!) into the canyon we got the worlds steepest railway back up to the cliff top. It was like a mini roller coaster ride because it was so steep and we thought we were going to fall out! Later on we visited the local Imax cinema where we saw a film about the local area, the history and the ecology. Bit strange to be in an English speaking country to find out that the film was being shown in Mandarin!!! This was because 2 coach loads of Asian tourists arrived before us so we had to listen to the English commentary through rubbish headphones. It wasn't ideal hearing both languages going on at the same time (!) but the film itself was very good. The next day we had a long drive to Port Stephens through the Hunter Valley which is famous for it's wineries. We really loved the YHA bungalows set in a rainforest. It's a gorgeous location with friendly owners. Port Stephens is a small peninsula with around 20 stunning beaches, including a huge expanse of desert like sand dunes at Stockton Beach. Unfortunately when we were there it was still cold and windy (!) though it was sunny so we still managed to see a lot of the place. En route to Bellingen we stopped off at Port Macquarrie for a few hours. It was a nice town and while we were there we visited a Koala Hospital run by volunteers. Most koalas are there due to motor vehicle accidents or dog attacks. They are very well looked after and are released back into the wild as soon as possible. Bellingen was recommended to us as an attractive, chill out town a few miles from the coast. Yes, it was a really nice looking, quiet town but there wasn't a huge amount to do there. We had a walk around the town then on the way to Dorrigo National Park Jen was dive bombed by a bird! We think it was a magpie type of bird and was after her sparkling hair band!! (Not as bad as being attacked by a kangaroo on her last Oz trip!!!) At the Rainforest Centre in the National Park we went on a short boardwalk above the rainforest which had great views into the forest and over the canyon. Afterwards we had a longer walk along the rainforest floor to see a waterfall. Dorrigo itself is a very sleepy town which looks like the set of a wild west movie! Most shops had decided to shut early as it was so quiet! (Poor Jen!). Next stop Coffs Harbour on the coast!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



9th October 2009

Blue Mountains
We loved the Blue Mountains and the boys loved the very steep train - I screamed the whole way! Did you go across the gorge on the scary cable car - again more cowardice from me when it got a bit windy and it started to sway!
10th October 2009

Saturday
Well - lovely to hear your latest travel news. Here's mine. I went to Perth today and visited every charity shop and bought 3 jerseys and 2 long skirts for £18.55. One of the jerseys was 100% cashmere. Are you jealous, Jennifer? Oh... you aren't....! Lots of love Auntie S xx
12th October 2009

Metal and Ale
Alestorm playing Glasgow in December. That beats any waterfall or mountain range in the Southern Hemisphere. Yyyyaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb