The Blue mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
March 5th 2008
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took a day trip to the Blue Mountains, a world heritage listed National Park. The Eucalyptus oil from the trees creates a blue haze across the mountains and is great for unblocking noses!
We not only saw wild Eastern Grey Kangaroos in their native bush habit but also caught a pair boxing on camera!
We walked through changing vegetation, hanging swamps and under rock ledges to see the dramatic waterfall at Wentworth Falls. After lunch at a lake we went to jamison Valley and walked down the historic Furber Stairs, through lush rainforest and past Katoomba falls.
Sarah took many photos of the famous 'Three Sisters' rock formations. According to Aboriginal legend there were once three beautiful sisters from the Katoomba tribe called "Meehni", "Wimlah" and "Gunnedoo". Now, these three sisters fell in love with three brothers from another tribe, the Nepean tribe. The three sisters saw the three brothers in secret as tribal laws forbade them from seeing one another and they knew their Father would be angry if he found out.
But the brothers disagreed with this law and tried to kidnap the sisters. A war broke out between the two tribes and the Sister's Father, a witchdoctor, turned his three daughters to stone to keep them safe during the battle. Fortunately for us tourists, the witchdoctor was killed during the battle so the three sisters remain as rock today.
After many hours of walking and photo taking we took the steepest railway in the world (it's in the Guiness Book of Records) back up to the Valley Rim.
We stopped off in the 'historic' town of Katoomba (there wasn't much there!) before heading back to Sydney.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb