Kangaroos and hungry birds everywhere


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Batemans Bay
March 10th 2014
Published: March 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Merry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan Park

The wonderful view across the front row sites to the beautiful blue sea. Our neighbours were out and about but had left their chairs and table to keep their space.
Time to say goodbye to the airport and move on to Merry Beach. First we found a dump site in Moruya so we emptied out the tanks and refilled the fresh water. The drive was uneventful, thank goodness, and we arrived at the Merry Beach Caravan Park at Kioloa (between Bateman’s Bay and Ulladulla). For $15 a night we had a spot in the second row from the beach. You pay more for the front row but we didn’t mind at all as there was no-one in the first row so we got the lovely view of the sandy beach and gorgeous blue green water - cheap!

After setting up, we went for a walk along the beach and I couldn’t resist another paddle. There were kangaroos standing around in big mobs under the trees and wood ducks and teals everywhere, as well as masses of kangaroo poo! We saw some caravan owners who had brought rakes with them and used them to clear the poo away from their sites – they’d obviously been here before!

We had some sandwiches and a piece of the fruit cake I’d bought at Candelo Market, (which was very moist and tasty but
Merry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan Park

A Crested Pigeon
I would have liked more nuts). Then I went for a snooze while Barry wandered around the campground looking at the wildlife. He came across a mass of Rainbow Lorikeets feeding from a wok on a pole near our site. We always carry wild bird seed so we can feed them the correct food. He got it out of the car and called me. In no time they'd landed all over him and even tried to peck holes in the plastic bag to get at the seeds, mainly the sunflower seeds, which are like lollies for them.

We discovered that ducks like seed, too, as they rushed over to eat the ones that dropped at our feet (even picking them off our feet). We were also joined by two crested pigeons and a coot. Wood ducks and teals are funny – they took off and flew to the small creek on the beach when they were startled by something. A short time later, they all rushed back to get their share of the seeds – but they didn’t fly, they ran quickly from the creek, led by the bolder teals. It looked
Merry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan Park

Barry feeding the Rainbow Lorikeets
hilarious watching them rushing up the slope. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo as I was busy feeding the Lorikeets, who hadn't been spooked.

I next made dinner and we had a shower in the camp site block – BUT we had to pay for the hot water with 20 cent coins in a meter which only lasted 3 minutes and then shut off leaving you standing under stone-cold water (THAT was a shock!). We settled down for the night. After a while, we heard noises outside the door, and looking out, found kangaroos right outside the door, not the least perturbed by our presence. This became a regular event but left more fresh deposits to avoid the next day! We definitely need a rake!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Merry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan Park
Merry Beach Caravan Park

My turn to feed the Rainbow Lorikeets
Merry Beach Caravan ParkMerry Beach Caravan Park
Merry Beach Caravan Park

Mobs of kangaroos are all over the park, especially at dusk and dawn.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb