Austalia 2nd Half


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Batemans Bay
February 23rd 2006
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

LEECHES!!! more later...

Journal # 41 2/18/06

The last few days we have been in Melbourne, Victoria staying at a youth hostel. The Hostel is also equiped with a bar and that is where all the backpackers go. It has an internet cafe and that is where I go. Mostly I do school here, but I did have to tour the city with my family.

Journal # 42 2/22/06

LEECHES!! not yet...

Yesterday we had dinner with David Yaffe. Not my dad, David Yaffe, but another man with the same name. We had drinks at his apartment and then went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. I don't know if this will be a theme throughout our trip...dinners with David Yaffes. We will have to keep the phone books away from Dad.

We visited the Melbourne museum which had a great wildlife exhibit.

We took a ferry to Raymond Island to find Koalas and found them in a lot of the trees. They had almost killed many of the trees by eating all of the leaves. We drove up the coast of Victoria into New South Wales stopping along the way at libraries so Natalie and I could do school work.

LEECHES!! o.k...

We went deep in the woods to camp and the next morning discovered there were LEECHES in our campsite and around the river. At first Natalie was finding them on her feet and ankles.
Mom pulled a huge one full of blood off her stomach.

We did a hike up Pigeon House Mountain which was LEECH infested and I had to go up ladders and stairs that were LEECH infested. The bloodsucking worms got on my neck and in my hair.

Australia so far has been really fun.

Next stop, New Zealand.




Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Near The TopNear The Top
Near The Top

Odd Flower
Natalie Has VisitorNatalie Has Visitor
Natalie Has Visitor

Natalie was rinsing off and a goanna walked up to her and flicked its white tongue.
WombatWombat
Wombat

We never got to see one of these in the wild, but their burrows are everywhere.
PossumPossum
Possum

Found in a tree above our tent.
KoalaKoala
Koala

Raymond Island was full of Koalas.
Koala 2Koala 2
Koala 2

They don't do much.
Koala HabitatKoala Habitat
Koala Habitat

The Koala likes this type of gum tree.
Koala FoodKoala Food
Koala Food

Koalas eat Eucalyptus leaves.


7th March 2006

Great post
But no photos of leeches?
8th March 2006

Sounds like an incredible adventure!
FYI--let your folks know that Cousins Rich and Alma Shure are now in NZ too. Last message from them was in Dunedin. Their e-mail is: alma shure [almashure@yahoo.com] Be on the lookout! Also, if you get to Dunedin--look for albatross and for yellow-eyed penguins--quite amazing!
9th March 2006

AWESOME
Hi Guys, Everything about your trip sounds truly AMAZING. I love getting your Blogs! Keep having fun on your great adventure. Roberta
13th March 2006

swimming
Hi! DID YOU GET A CHANCE TO SWIM AT THE GREAT BARRIER REEF? I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT AND YOU WERE THERE OR NEAR WEREN'T YOU? I READ ABOUT SHARKS ON THE COAST WAS THAT NEAR YOUR TRAVELS? YOUR TRAVELS LOOK SO EXCITING. I IMAGINE YOU WILL SEE THE PLACES FROM THE HOBBIT VIDEO IN NEW ZEALAND. I'M TEACHING LANGUAGE ARTS TO 8TH GRADERS NOW . CLASSES OF 32 FOR 5 PERIODS A DAY. ABOUT 160 KIDS A DAY, ITS VERY HARD AT TIMES. WE WERE READING "HOLES" I'M SURE YOU HAVE SEEN THE VIDEO.
15th March 2006

CHRISTIE'S BIRTHDAY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTIE , I FORGOT TO SAY THAT IN LAST NOTE. SOON YOU WILL HAVE TRAVELED THE WORLD! I'M SENDING YOU WISHES FOR A GREAT DAY!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb