Sydney Poitier? No, its Sidders the best city in the world! (and Camberra!)


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrival of the Ginormous Fella!Arrival of the Ginormous Fella!Arrival of the Ginormous Fella!

Tubs in all his glory infront of the Sydney Opera House
Hello and welcome to the latest instalment of my travels. Sadly Ive been a bit poor on updating this as the World Cup has held my attention recently. Ive watched at least one game every day, and thats quite impressive in my eyes seen as the matches dont kick off till 11pm, 2am and 5am over here. Crazy I know- surely FIFA should have looked into these time differences and taken into account that Im travelling and should have put all games on at a more reasonable hour. Sort it out Pele!!

Since I reported last time, we have enjoyed 10 wonderful days in Australias, if not the Worlds greatest city, Sydney. Not only is this city good, its amazing!! I dont know why exactly other than it has got everything you want from a city, but is less populated and busy than its European counterparts. Its got a great party scene, some famous landmarks, good shopping, good parks, is clean and is hosted by some very friendly people. Its definitely my favourite city we have visited since we have been travelling, even though it did get bloody cold...!

When we arrived on a grey and miserable Wednesday morning,
Me infront of Sydney Harbour BridgeMe infront of Sydney Harbour BridgeMe infront of Sydney Harbour Bridge

It kept us all in Suspens-ion! (its the way you tell 'em!)
we were shattered and had to wait 3 hours till we could check into our room. Post a few hours looking around in the rain we checked into our damp and cold room and fell asleep. Our hostel was quite good and ridiclously cheap as we had booked it a few weeks in advance (worked out to less than 13 dollars a night (about 5 squid) but our room was freezing cold and damp! Even 2 sheets and a duvet sometimes didnt even warm me up- at one point I was tempted to wear my wooly hat in bed but I thought that was a bit extreme since we are in Australia!! The first night there our good friend Mr Danial Holtby arrived from the UK. I lived with the fat man for 3 years at university so our endless jibes at his shocking weight problem is OK!! That night I summoned up the energy to go for a few welcoming beers before I retired to bed!

The first few days were built around trying to hold my excitement for the World Cup. Officially starting on Friday night we watched the Germany game with our German friends who we knew from our Whitsunday sailing trip. Will had his cheek painted in good banter, but Im not sure David Cooke would have been all cheers towards him; "traitor, man" I hear him say!! A cracking game to start the tournament though, and only one night before the big game against Paraguay.

My time clock has changed since arriving in Sydney. Going to bed about 3am and getting up at 12 means only a certain amount of sunlight is enjoyed. And after a few shitty days of drizzle in Sydders, out came the sun and we were able enjoy the full delights. We managed to get oursleves to the Aquarium, which in fairness is absolutely mint. There are all sorts of fishes there, sharks, a crocodile and even a huge Great White Whale (not really but i bet you believed me?!). The sharks were the best and absolutely amazing creatures to watch swim past you about a metre away!

The greatest sight in Sydney is seeing the Opera House and Harbour Bridge in all its glory. From a point up the bay (Mrs McQuarries Point), you can have both of them in shot for a perfect picture postcard photo.
In anticipationIn anticipationIn anticipation

The day of reckoning- cmon England!!
The Opera House is quite impressive when the sun shines on it in fairness but I was more impressed with the Harbour Bridge (see my favourite photo ever below!). I also visited the famous Rocks area just opposite the Opera House which lays host to some fancy restaurants and cafes.

A major highlight whilst in Sydney was going to watch England play the Ozzies at the Telstra stadium (where the Olympics were held). I had my photo taken with the wallaby mascot prior to the match in honour of our good relations with the scum, sorry ozzies! The atmosphere in the stadium was incredible before the game, especially when the national anthems were sang. However on the first kick of the game, the crowd suddenly went silent and the game was watched in eerie quietness! Are arses were officially kicked as we lost by about 30 points. I loved the whole night though- sport in the stadiums are so much better when you have a few beers. FOr a first international match (even if not footy), it was pretty special.

We did manage to get out of the city hustle and bustle to visit various suburbs. Me, Will
England vs AustraliaEngland vs AustraliaEngland vs Australia

My first International- disaster but still had a fantastic night.
and Chubs went to Manly one afternoon on a ferry ride up the harbour. It was a grey and miserable Sunday afternoon and when we arrived at Manly the wind was pissed off. Crikey was it windy. A swift latte in a fancy coffee shop, a big pie, a quick glance at the nutter surfers just wishing to drown, and we were on our way back to the capital (cus we had to get back for the rugby). Me and Bully also went to Bondi one afternoon for a bit of a walk up the famous coastal path. Bondi wasnt particularly busy as its winter, but I could imagine it heaving in the summer. The views from the coastal walk around to Coogee were pretty gorgoeous, with the odd crazy surfer popping up now and then trying to catch a wave. We did stop at a coffee shop and got chatting to an elderly couple. The husband was a Michael Caine lookalike and whenever he spoke he couldnt stop himself adding a bit of racist humour and a smirk to the proceedings- this is proper Australia!!

A day trip was taken to see the Blue Mountains as everyone comments
Me and the WallabyMe and the WallabyMe and the Wallaby

I tried to keep close relations with the ozzies before the game!
on how stunning they are. And i for one would not disagree. The views over the main gorge is like the Grand Canion (apparently!)- with steep cliff faces and an endless backdrop. I did wander off down into the jungle where I learnt about the old mining activities in the area, then caught the steepest railway in the world back to the top. There is a rock formation called the 3 Sisters which I cant describe but are a pretty amazing sight! Also in the day we had a wander around an animal park. There were shit loads of Koalas, most of them asleep. Like Jonny T/Melon/Bully/David Cooke they tend to sleep alot and often nearly 16 hours a day! Thats unbelievable Jeff!! I got to hold one at one point, but as the batteries in my camera had gone, I have no proof- you will just have to believe me!! Added to the day trip we were able to briefly visit the Olympic Park where we saw Sir Steve Redgraves and Jonathan Edwards's placks for winning medals!! Overall, a great day trip had by all.

On once certain day wandering around the city I came across a huge
The Jazz festival at Darling HarbourThe Jazz festival at Darling HarbourThe Jazz festival at Darling Harbour

Loved the Jazz! Mmmm nice!
chess board in Hyde Park, where anyone can play with giant sized pieces. That certain day 2 old geezers (that looked like they were in the Mafia) were playing. There was an oldish oriental chap behind them commenting on how badly one of the men were playing, until Mafia A turned around and said in his most Mafia styley- You talking to me voice- and said to him that he should play. What ensued was a child like argument lasting ages over an opinion that one could be mated in 4 moves. Wonderful to see such passion for the game!!

Another (yes another) major highlight for me was the fact that when we were there, the annual Jazz festival was held in Sydney at Darling Harbour. Held over the bank holiday for the Queens birthdday (we dont even have a pissing bank holiday for this in England) there were all sorts of Jazz artists playing, from blues to Big Band to random crap. I loved it, especially the rendition of Spinning Wheel. Bootiful. Mmm nice!

To finally round off Sidders i must again comment on the World Cup and how much Australians have finally got into it. We watched Australia's first game against Japan in a bar full of Japanese, but when they eventually scored the winner, loads of Australians suddenly appeared from nowhere!! Although I didnt see it, apparently all the roads were blocked with celebrating Ozzies on the final whistle. Sydney is also the home to thousands of orientals, indlucing a massive South Korean support. On the day of their game, hundreds of Koreans banged their drums in the streets. I watched their opening game with maybe over a thousand of the nutters in the park. I think I was the only non Korean there! When they scored their winner- god they went absolutely mentals- I think they have the best fans in the world, constantly chanting and cheering throughout the game. We watched both England's games in a pub called the Gaff and again the atmosphere was great. Shame we played pretty poorly in both. Nevertheless, Im still confident as we look solid at the back and with the Roonsters return, we could be awesome! ING ER LAND!!!!

I loved Sydney and I definitely will return. However it was time to leave and we headed to Camberra, the capital, on Friday. We have spent
Bondi beachBondi beachBondi beach

Good, but not that good!! Spent about 10 minutes there before heading off down the coastal walk!
4 days here and to be honest, although quite dull, Im glad we came. We are staying at our first YHA hostel and it is mint- is warm and clean, good tele room, free pool and wait for it.....a pool and jacuzzi! Crikey!! Compared to Sydney, it doesnt compare (what..garage?!). So whilst in the capital I have visited and walked miles. The War Memorial is pretty special, giving information of Australia's participation in both World Wars and other such wars. Ive also visited the National Musuem which has displays on the first Australians (aboriginals), the culture and the land. However, I was most interested in the sports section, although there was not a single mention of Shane Warne in the greatest sporting moments- unbelievable!! Today I bought a scarf (cus its freezing- dropped to 0 degress last nite!) and I went to the Australian Houses of Parliament (House of representatives) and watched the Prime Ministers Question Time. I was going to heckle John Howard but I actually think his policies are quite impressive!! And to cap it all off Ive just had a massive tea of pasta, chicken, chips, fish, salad and 2 pieces of cake (most of it was
Camberra- houses of ParliamentCamberra- houses of ParliamentCamberra- houses of Parliament

Not as good as England's (we're commoners we are)
free). What a chuffer I am- Ill be turning into Dan the Man Who Can soon!!

Anyway, after this mammoth essay of ridiculous proportions, I best leave as Im knackered of typing. Thought Id make the effort cus Sydney was so fantastic that I want to look back and remember what I did there. Answer- shit loads!!

Hope everyone is good back home and enjoying the World Cup as much as me?!! We watched the Ozzies vs Brazil last nite (finished at 4am)- what a game- the whole country is behind the Socceroos now!! Hope the English fans pull together behind Sven!

Ciao for now

Jonny x


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Australian War memorialAustralian War memorial
Australian War memorial

Torch at the end never stops burning


Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb