Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left Ayers rock and headed to Kings Canyon which is about 150kms from the rock. The canyon was amazing and I guess would have been more spectacular from the rim but I wasn't up for the steep climb so we settled for the walk along the canyon floor. The ghost gums against the backdrop of red rock were outstanding and the colours in the rocks were amazing. We originally intended to then follow the loop road back into Alice so we didn't have to drive the distance back to the highway but were told that it was very rough and very dusty. Since we hadn't done any dustproofing for this trip we ended up going back to the highway and stayed overnight in a free camp on the Finke river. Amazingly we met a couple from Boorowa here who knew my Dad and brothers quite well. Then we were off to Alice for a week. We were very happy to be staying in one place for a while so that we could catch up with the mundane domestic chores like washing, shopping and cleaning. As you have probably realised by now we have been playing catch up with the blog as we didn't always have internet connection coming up the centre. We have enjoyed our week in Alice and will post all of the pictures from here when we get to Darwin. We are leaving here tomorrow morning and stopping at the Devils Marbles on the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The climb to the RimThe climb to the Rim
The climb to the Rim

Too steep for me
The Finke River BedThe Finke River Bed
The Finke River Bed

Overnight stop in a free camp by the Finke River (one of the oldest rivers in the world) about 125 kms from Alice.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb