Three trains, two busses and a long walk...one way.


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

the war memorialthe war memorialthe war memorial

the approach
I spent a long weekend in Canberra. It's interesting because most foreigners don't know that the city exists, let alone that it is the capital of Australia. Canberra is a planed city and actually designed by a former American, from Chicago (He has since become an Australian citizen). The new Parliament building sits in the center of the government region and streets radiate out from it creating long axises that extend to monuments and other artifacts in the landscape. The idea of a planned city sounds extremely logical but the city was extremely hard to navigate around for me as a pedestrian. Overall it was a great trip, learning about Australia's government system and heritage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

looking backlooking back
looking back

I'm standing on the steps of the War Memorial looking down one of the long axies at the new parliament building...the distance between the two buildings is probably 2 to 3 kilometers.
The CarillonThe Carillon
The Carillon

it played music throughout the day sounding almost as if I was back at KU.
large pedestrian areas to relaxlarge pedestrian areas to relax
large pedestrian areas to relax

this was taken close to where I was staying.
proving I was thereproving I was there
proving I was there

thank you for bringing me a new tripod mom!
ariel shot of the city from Black Mountain Towerariel shot of the city from Black Mountain Tower
ariel shot of the city from Black Mountain Tower

to the left of the lake is the city district and to the right of the lake is the government sector.


21st May 2010

postcard
received your postcard from canberra enjoyed it

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb