Antics on the Farm


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

DAY 440


Well, today we have some sorting out to do, the main thing being accommodation in Canberra for the coming weeks as we will not be able to stay with Susan after next Friday.

We had done a little bit of searching online just to see what was around, but we had already heard that good accommodation was hard to find in Canberra and on the expensive side at that, we also know that there are not many campsites around Canberra that will give us the convenience of being close to the town centre just across Lake Burley Griffin where I will be working near Parliament House.

So after some soul searching and Internet searching, we figure that our best bet is to get back to the camping, I think this way at least we can still feel as if we are sort of on holiday at the same time as working. I don’t think it will be easy but on the other hand can it really be that hard? I guess we will find out.

If we consider how much camping we have done and survived then all that will happen is that I get up and get dressed for work instead of putting on my daily uniform of shorts, t-shirt and thongs, I will be putting on a suit and heeled shoes, of which I am out of practice wearing so I hope I don’t teeter around too much trying to find my balance.

After our breakfast of tea and toast we headed out to Canberra Motor Village, we stayed there last time we were here, although I was not too impressed then, it could have been more to do with the weather, it was cold and we had to be careful where we pitched our trailer as there was a slope, so we had to manoeuvre it into position and put blocks under the wheels so as to stop it from going anywhere and we could not get the pegs into the ground. The wind was blowing really hard too so it was difficult to keep the tent in good shape.

Anyway, we went in for a chat and to find out if they can do us a deal for slightly longer term, they can give us some discount but the only problem is that we can only stay for 28 days maximum, they have no permanent sites at all. I hate the concept of being classified as a permanent fixture, especially as we only possibly need a site for 6 weeks, 2 months max. But rules are rules and it will affect their licence, so we will have to come up with a plan.

In the meantime we head to South Canberra to scope out the Caravan Park down there, it is a nice drive down, but we both feel it is a little bit further out and perhaps not quite as tidy as the Canberra Motor Village. When we looked online we have seen both good and bad comments about both sites, which is no help as it really is just down to preference. The South Canberra one has just sold the last permanent site but that will not be a problem with them we can still stay for the full term on a normal site.

Back in the truck we are heading back into Town and we both decide that we prefer the Canberra Motor Village, and we will have a better site than last time so we wont have to worry about rolling down hill.

We head back to them and book in for the first week leaving a deposit for the first night. I didn’t want to book for the full 28 days as we would have to pay in full and if anything changes we wouldn’t get our money back.

In the meantime we can search online for house sits or reasonably priced holiday lets, but for now camping is our cheaper option.

We did have a bit of good news this morning as one of the companies that interviewed Andy last week wanted him to do some contract work, so he needed to pop in and see Jodie later about some paperwork.

In the meantime we head back to the house for some lunch and a few chores before heading back into town to see Jodie. Unfortunately when we got to see Jodie she explained that she had a phone call to say that the contract work was not required yet, they changed their minds. Oh well, that’s life, looks like it is just me then that will be working next week, unless anything changes next Wednesday when we are in Sydney.

So the rest of the day we did not do very much, when Susan came in I made a salad for and Andy cooked up some steaks on the BBQ for our tea.

I spoke to Helen as we needed to find out if she was ok with us coming back for the weekend, so I explain our plans and Helen is fine with that. We need to get back to Woodstock and pick up the trailer as we will need it next weekend to resume camping.

During my conversation Helen told me that there had been some antics on the farm. The funny thing is that Kimba who would usually growl at Toby to stay away from her and her territory, in most cases the veranda, Helen found them playing quite happily together and did not give it much thought until she realised Toby was trying to have his wicked way with Kimba who was actually trying to reciprocate.

So Kimba was put back in the yard, Robert put Wally in with Kimba and Toby was tied up. Helen explained that it took Wally no time at all to do the deed, and as for poor Toby who was trying to use the old fashioned chocolate and flowers approach missed out.

So there could be the pitter patter of tiny paws at Woodstock by the end of April, so watch this space.

I discussed our forward plans with Susan as some of it depended on if we were able to stay with her next week, thankfully Susan is fine with us staying a little bit longer, but the lady that owns the house is back next Friday or Saturday so we need to be gone before she arrives home (she does know we are staying by the way!!)

We watch a couple of films, but Andy is tired and shortly after 10.00 he vanishes to bed, I stay up a little bit longer and then give in, closely followed by Susan.

The night is warm, it has been 35 degree’s C today we have both windows wide open the overhead fan is on full blast and we sleep on top of the bed, as opposed to underneath it, but of course I actually mean no bed linen required!

Well that’s it for today,


Advertisement



23rd January 2010

Skype me
Hi Guys, Just thought we haven't skyped for a while so if we are on then give us a call, I have a suprise so yeah call me call me now. Kenno

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb