Australia's quiet Capital


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Despite all the advice that i was given to avoid Canberra like the plague, I'd decided that Oz's Capital city deserved at least a look in for a day - boy, was a day enough!!!

I hate to admit it, but most people were right about city - there really isn't a lot to see or do here. Unlike Adelaide, which is a large city with a small country town feel, Canberra is just plain small!!!

I got into the city in the early hours of the morning, had a few problems checking into my Hostel, which is becoming a regular thing as i arrive before most people have had a chance to check out, so started the day a little later than i had planned. In spite of this, i still had enough time to visit Capital Hill and Parliament House (where i went on a tour of the building and got some more information into Oz's Government system), saw Old Parliament House and the High Court of Australia, had a walk around the National Gallery of Australia and the National Library of Australia (where there was a display of National Treasures) and was even able to have a little look at the "Reflecting Canberra" exhibit in the Canberra Museum and Gallery. The only thing i was unable to visit was the Austrailian Sports Institute, which would've been a cool thing to see. On the whole though, i was impressed at what i could do in a day!

I had a much-needed relaxing evening in the hostel, making the most of the indoor pool and tv lounge area, and caught up a bit on my lacking beauty sleep!! On reflection, maybe i could've paced myself a little and taken two days to slowly see the sights, but why spend more time in the sleepy town of Canberra when the whole East Coast is waiting for me to visit?! My theory...visit Canberra briefly to see the Capital and get a better idea into the foundations of Australia (it is a nice place really), then spend the majority of your time soaking up the sun and atmosphere on the Coast - experiencing the TRUE Aussie way of life!!!!






Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb