Day off in Saratoga


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Saratoga
July 14th 2018
Published: July 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today was a chance to explore Saratoga, Wyoming.

Saratoga has been special since the Native American’s discovered the healing Hot Springs here.

The city grew up around the Hot Springs and was initially named Warm Springs.

During a smallpox outbreak in 1887, infected individuals went to the Hot Springs and frequently, ( at least in legend) were cured. It became famous after that and a leading citizen, Fenimore Chatterton recommended they rename the city Saratoga after Saratoga Springs in New York.

Tourists have been coming here ever since.

A local told me there are several High End Dude Ranches in the surrounding area and a resort across the North Platt River known as the Saratoga Hot Springs Resort.

I wondered over to the free Hot Springs,( known as the Hobo Pools), and discovered there are three pools, Very Hot, Hot and then the outflow into the River.

I sampled each and finally settled down in the third pool for awhile. It felt great and I felt it soothing my tired legs.

After a spell in the pool, I used the nearby shower and went to Old Saratoga to see the sights.

Coincidentally, the oldest Hotel in town the Wolf Hotel was celebrating it’s 125th Anniversary. In addition to offering a horse drawn carriage ride around the block, local author CJ Box was there autographing his latest Joe Pickett book which featured the Wolf Hotel.

I love his books and it was a thrill to shake his hand.

Finally I ate a quick supper and returned to my room to rest and prepare for tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will be heading for Rawlins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th July 2018

Soothing your weary bonz...
Glad you had a "spa" day to get those legs back into peddling shape. Such a grand adventure Bob! Jerome is up there rooting you on and on and on although he'd be drivin' the sag wagon and having a G & T each evening in celebration of YOUR work! Remarkable your fortitude, endurance, resilience and wonder at the marvels of our great nation. Thanks for taking us all along for this ride of a lifetime. Love, Chelle

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb