Bones on the Trail


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Oregon TrailOregon TrailOregon Trail

Still visible.....
The ground was dry in Vernal as we prepared for departure Monday morning. An encroaching thunderstorm grazed us as we rode North, over the East Shoulder of the High Uinta mountains.
Beautiful green meadows and aspens along the road set against some fine twisties and empty road riding.
Passing Flaming Gorge to the East, we flew over a beautiful road toward Rock Springs. The headwind caused horse power envy for Reverend Bill as Reverend Chuck flew through the high-speed sweepers on his R1150GS.
North out of Rock Springs you cross the high basin that the Oregon Trail traversed. It is the lowest point in the continental divide and desolate sage covers the endless expanse. North of Farson, we came across the Oregon Trail itself, wagon ruts still visible just off the highway. The nearby cattle bones reminded us of the severe toil these emigrant pioneers invested in crossing to the their new world.
We were soon in Pinedale provisioning for our evening camp at Granite Hot Springs.
Leaving the highway for the final ten miles up Granite Creek road, we again aired our tires down for the unpaved surface.
An easy gravel and dirt ride up the valley was accented by
BonesBonesBones

Late for steaks.
the dramatic peaks and cornice covered ridges of the Gros Vente mountains.
We found the prime camp spot in the nearly empty campground, made camp, and walked the last mile to Granite Hot Springs.
Built in 1933 by the CCC, the waters were relatively cool at 99F from the Spring runoff of Granite Creek.
It was a pleasant soak as we got acquainted with our campsite neighbors, Scott and Lita.
We walked back to the campground past the falls and were soon enjoying an evening beverage on the point at our camp.
Today (Tuesday) dawned clear and cold, a morning fire keeping the chill at bay.
Wildlife sightings the last day include deer, antelope, elk, moose, water ouzels, and numerous waterfowl.
The beavers, with a huge lodge and abundant damming creates an extensive wetland along Granite Creek across the the campground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

CupcakesCupcakes
Cupcakes

On the Oregon Trail
SunshineSunshine
Sunshine

Getting drier.
The Gros VentesThe Gros Ventes
The Gros Ventes

Approaching Granite Creek Road
Airing DownAiring Down
Airing Down

For better traction.
Bachelor SaladBachelor Salad
Bachelor Salad

And brats.
Airing Back UpAiring Back Up
Airing Back Up

Return to pavement.
Bike CakeBike Cake
Bike Cake

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh? Yea!


26th May 2009

Bones
Missing work so much you have to drag a little ortho into it, eh? Lotsa crafting phrases and clicking pix for a roadtrip! Impressive that you can make the time and find the resources to do it. All right Rev.--thanks for a window on the beautiful world out there...and safe travels. Chris
26th May 2009

Really enjoying the trip vicariously! Are you sure those are "cow" bones?
26th May 2009

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Nice to see you boys got out of the shower. Beautiful scenery and I'm sure some great "floaty" cruisin. Look forward to your next entry - Yellowstone it looks like? Scah-ee
26th May 2009

Oh, so nice...
Oh so nice... Hope the parts come in for my final drive. If you are going to cross the eastern part of Oregon I might be able to meet up on Friday or Saturday. Let me know.
26th May 2009

Nice icing on that cake, Padres!
27th May 2009

Great Dos Dirty Padres Moto Trip!
My favorite type of vacation , road trips! Thank you for sharing great memories, marvelous photographs by the way! have a safe trip back home Dirty Padres! Gerardo.
28th May 2009

MMMMMMM, hot springs......
Glad you boys are having a good time. Sure looks like a blast. Sounds as if you are hitting damn near everything you'd hoped to. My wish for you is that this trip continues to open more doors for you, and that as your experience grows so too will your wanderlust. Ride fast, Take chances!!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb