Kettle Moraine Forest - on the motorcycles.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Whitewater
September 20th 2012
Published: September 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The bikes are packed and ready to go.The bikes are packed and ready to go.The bikes are packed and ready to go.

I drive a Harley 1200 and the hubby loves his Suzuki Bergman 650.
Got the hubby up early today (under protest) and headed off on the bikes to the Whitewater, Wisconsin area and the nearby Kettle Moraine State Forest. It was about a hour ride for us, coming from the "flatland" of Illinois, but as we got closer to the Kettle Moraine we noticed the hills and the curves in the road.

The Kettle Moraine area is a part of the state where a couple of glaciers collided, and then melted, leaving high ridges of land and low indentations. That is a good thing for bicycle riders and motorcyclists. The forest is so pretty, and the gently rolling hills and curves are a blast to ride. Many of the roads in the area are designated scenic drives, rustic roads or bike routes. Head to the Kettle Moraine State Forest Visitor Center and Headquarters located between Palmyra and Eagle on Hwy 59 for some great maps. The Visitor Center is also the start of the Stony Ridge Nature Trail, and a free Museum and gift store. Here's the bonus: most of the other parking spots for trails and scenic areas are fee based and at the Visitor Center the parking is free.

It
Good place for Breakfast in Palmyra!Good place for Breakfast in Palmyra!Good place for Breakfast in Palmyra!

This place smelled so yummy we just had to stop. I think everybody within 50 miles of here was thinking the same thing.
was still early enough for breakfast - my favorite meal. We pulled into Palmyra, a tiny well-kept town. Lots of motorcycles, bicycles and muscle cars lined the street. It was fun just admiring all the other vehicles up and down the street - it felt like attending a car show. We particularly drooled over a trio of spotless Honda Goldwing Trikes. The downtown restaurant was packed, in fact we even shared a table with another group - but breakfast was fabulous!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kettle Moraine Forest Visitor's CenterKettle Moraine Forest Visitor's Center
Kettle Moraine Forest Visitor's Center

Don't miss the small museum inside. It's got some good stories of the people and animals of the area. Also a great place to pick up maps.
Start of the Stony Ridge TrailStart of the Stony Ridge Trail
Start of the Stony Ridge Trail

Great trail. Brings you up on the ridges and down again.
Not quite fall colors.Not quite fall colors.
Not quite fall colors.

Maybe in a couple of weeks the colors will be good...still awfully pretty scenery from the trail.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb