Last Leg to Thanksgiving


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » West Virginia
November 18th 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke to two inches of snow and more coming down! Maybe we won't have Thanksgiving since it looks like it's Christmas already! Rich fixed his breakfast surprise recipe for all of us. It is eggs and cheese and a surprise! After breakfast, we went to the camper to get ready to leave and we couldn't get the slide to go in because it had too much snow on top! We had to borrow a ladder and a push broom and Rich climbed up to push the snow off! Our goodbyes said, we headed out a little before noon. The road was wet, but not snowy. A nearby house had a big backhoe in the field. It had a huge jackhammer on the end, used to break up the bedrock to enable construction. Most of the time there were no planted crops because the bedrock was so close to the surface. There were cattle and pastures and grass hay. We saw more Osage oranges! There were also exposed coal seams here and there on farms. We kept seeing hornets' nests in trees. Is this a good time of year to clear them off? Our new truck said it was 29 degrees outside. There were snow flurries all the way to the Virginia/Tennessee border. Then it cleared up. Diesel is down to $2.55 and oil is at $55 a barrel. Aren't we glad we didn't postpone this trip due to fuel prices? Just as it got dark, a semi-truck driver pulled up next to us and honked. Nancy opened the window and he shouted something at us that sounded like "flat tire". We took the next offramp just as another truck beeped at us, and pulled into a gas station. No flat tires! Hmmm. Could he have said "fire"? We checked all around and inside. No fire. Hmmm. "It doesn't sound like tire, but are the lights on the trailer working?" Nancy asked. They were not! Rich just had to plug them in harder. Ahh!
We arrived in Knoxville, at Nancy's brother Phil's house, just in time to go to dinner with her sister Janet, whose daughter, Kathy, was celebrating her birthday. There were seven of us at the Texas Roadhouse because two other nephews and one fiance also came. We bought cake on the way back to Nancy's brother Phil's house. Four of Nancy's five brothers and sisters live in Knoxville. Her older sister lives in Memphis.That's why we came here for Thanksgiving. Nancy hasn't been with her family for Thanksgiving since high school, since it was too far to get here in one evening after school was out! After enjoying the cake and the company, Rich went out and parked the trailer in the basketball area of Phil's driveway.
We slept peacefully, having reached our destination where we will stay for about two weeks. Our old truck took us 7,732 miles on this trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

David and NancyDavid and Nancy
David and Nancy

David is Nancy's cousin
Janet, Kathy, TerryeJanet, Kathy, Terrye
Janet, Kathy, Terrye

Terrye is Phil's wife


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb