Spokane and Coeur d'Alene


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Spokane
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Riverfront ParkRiverfront ParkRiverfront Park

Riverfront Park is right in the center of Spokane. The clock tower is all that remains of the Great Northern Train Station and stands as a city landmark
I broke the journey from Seattle to Spokane at Moses Lake, Washington. Some of the names of the towns in Washington State are interesting to say the least. Puyallup for example; pronounced Puh-al up, Walla Walla, Ephrata, the list goes on and on. I guess the folks that got across to the side of the United States were a mixed bunch of all nationalities that got thrown in with several tribes of American Indians with their own flair for naming areas created just the right recipe.
The name “Spokane” is a Salish word which loosely translated means “children of the sun” or “land of shimmering waters.” The town was originally known as Spokane Falls because of the huge waterfall which is right in the center of the city. The summer of 1889 was very hot and followed a long drought, and like Seattle, Spokane was destroyed by a devastating fire. The citizens of Spokane rebuilt right away but in far grander fashion than before.
The Northern Pacific Railroad arrived in 1881 and was linked transcontinentally in 1882. Spokane experienced its first boom when the discovery of gold in the Coeur d’Alene mining district established Spokane as the service center for the
Montgomery Ward StoreMontgomery Ward StoreMontgomery Ward Store

This beautiful building was opened in1929 by Montgomery Ward, originator of the mail order business.
north Idaho mines. The population that was just over 300 in 1880 had grown to more than 100,000 people by 1909 making Spokane the largest city west of Minneapolis. Today’s population is almost 220,000.
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho is just 35 miles from Spokane. It was named by early French fur traders in the late 18th or early 19ht century. The name means “Heart of an Awl” referring to the perceived shrewdness of the trading skills exhibited by the Shitawish tribe. The native language is and interior Salishan language. The Salishan meaning is “Discovered People” or “Those who are found here.” The Coeur d’Alene was a tribe of hunter gatherer indians that lived along the banks of the rivers as well as the lake shores around this area.
I left my park in the Spokane area on June 20th, and arrived in Medicine Hat on the 22nd, driving through some beautiful countryside. I had absolutely no problem crossing the border---it can be a challenge; my accent, a Canadian passport, and I'm driving a vehicle with Texas plates. I'll be here with the family in Medicine Hat until August 10th when I start trekking south again. My first destination being Yellowstone National
Montgomery Ward DetailMontgomery Ward DetailMontgomery Ward Detail

The detail on this lovely building was outstanding. It was renovated the building into a City Hall in 1983.
Park.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

RunnersRunners
Runners

These cast iron runners were put in place to commemorate the hosting of the 1974 World Exposition.
FallsFalls
Falls

The water falling over the natural falls was used to power the historic Spokane Flour Mill, which was renovated and converted into a shopping mall in in preparation for the Expo.
First PresbeterianFirst Presbeterian
First Presbeterian

The buildings around Spokane are of all types of architecture.
Spokane County Court HouseSpokane County Court House
Spokane County Court House

After the fire of 1889 design competition was held . The Court House is built French Renaissance style and has housed the Spokane County government since 1895. The pressed brick used for the building was the first to be produced in the area.
Lake Coeur d'AleneLake Coeur d'Alene
Lake Coeur d'Alene

Really pretty. There is a "beach" in the center of town, one of the only places I have been where there is also an abundance of parking.
Floating WarfFloating Warf
Floating Warf

This floating warf is built out into the harbour. There is a draw bridge in the center to let yachts pass under.
YachtsYachts
Yachts

Lake Coeur d'Alene is the largest lake in this part of the U.S. and as such attracts a lot of water related activities. There were some huge yachts mored in the harbour.


21st July 2009

But but... but..
.... there is a great golf course at Coeur d' Alene. Did ya' miss it?

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb