2018 Inside Passage Decarbonization Project Send Off with New Fixtures for Favorite Spots


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Olympia
May 28th 2018
Published: June 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

2018 IPDP Summer Journey

From the bottom of the South Puget Sound to the edge of Alaska

Send off and first day of the Summer 2018 cruise north up the Inside Passage.



The best part of cruising up the inside Passage is enjoying the incredible scenery all around us. Ama’s “house” has 11 windows, literally providing a 360˙ view, and depending on our location, breathtaking landscapes in every direction. We usually hang out together here, one of us (usually Peter) at the helm, monitoring our route, watching for other boats, crab or shrimp pots buoys and making sure our trusty auto-pilot isn’t steering us of course. The other (usually me) is manning the galley, stowing lines, clearing decks and preparing for anchor or docking. It’s the best place to be on Ama though we each have our favorite spots depending on the time of the day.

(+ 360 movie)





While I usually don’t want to be below decks on Ama while underway, our “Saloon” has just become even more cozy and inviting. To entice more productivity from my writing, Peter added a built in desk that flips up creating my own office onboard. Perched on the starboard quarter berth and surrounded by bookshelves, I am in a little bit of heaven plus in the best position to soak up the heat from our little Dickenson fireplace that is most welcome on cool mornings. I can’t really see outside so have to look inside my head and try to express emotions instead of just describing our magnificent surroundings. Still, I am just a hop up two steps through the companionway to the house and a steady stream of tea refills.



Peter likes to be at the helm onboard Ama. Though I give him breaks and usually take over for a couple of hours at least once during a long run, he is most happy at the steering station in Ama’s house. Now this spot is even more wonderful with the addition of a banjo rack near at hand. As aptly pointed out by our friend Howard Matwick, now he can bust out a tune anytime his muse calls!



New additions make Ama’s interior even more perfect for a couple of sailors with varied interests.



We set sail from Olympia, WA at the very civilized 1300 hours (1:00pm) in order to ride through Tacoma Narrows, the main constriction point flowing in and out of the South Sound. Our send off couldn’t be more fun with good friends, Kathy & Del Ware, waving us off from Oly’s high docks.



Anchoring in Gig Harbor for our first night reminds us that the South Sound is really a beautiful place to cruise, with interesting harbors, safe anchorages and incredible scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb