I see active volcanoes, their everywhere!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Mt St Helens
October 14th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yes indeed we entered into the cascade mountain range which contains a whole bunch of active volcanoes including Mt St Helen’s which erupted only 26 years ago and caused rather a mess. We took the scenic route ( which would have been much more scenic if it wasn’t for the fog) to St Helen’s and walked around in the underground lava caves for a couple of hours. Apparently in summer you don’t need any torches to walk through the caves. There are so many people in the caves they light the way for you!
So me and my sis with our headlamps descended into an active volcano. The cave tunnels were quite large, and half of it was straightforward walking. Unfortunately it was fairly hard to take pictures in the caves so the main memories will be in my head.
Then it was off to the lava canyon so I could do some mountain biking and Nomes could do some hiking. My first proper mountain biking since September in Banff. It was a difficult 8 km singletrack climb up to the ridge where you have a fantastic view of the St Helens crater and lava flows and also views of the surrounding volcanic mountains. I was yelling and ringing my bell on the way up to avoid head on collisions with people coming down, but back down it was simply just let it all go. Back to liaison with Naomi and being both tired and hungry we found a free campsite and settled in for the night. Another great day of weather in Washington state, but I have a feeling that is going to change soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Mountain Bike trackMountain Bike track
Mountain Bike track

Single Track on Mt St Helen's
In Lava caveIn Lava cave
In Lava cave

Man its dark in here I'm thinking while my sister snaps another shot.
Camping siteCamping site
Camping site

This is our free tent site at Swift, near Mt St Helen's. It is currently raining.
Mt RainierMt Rainier
Mt Rainier

Mt Rainier, North of St Helen's in Washington State.
Mt Rainier backdropMt Rainier backdrop
Mt Rainier backdrop

One of the 3 active volcanoes in the vicinity, and one of the 4 viewable from Mt St Helen's


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb