Less than 2 weeks before leaving to Singapore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Williamsburg
November 6th 2009
Published: November 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route from Williamsburg, VA to Singapore

Flying from Richmond, VA(RIC) to New York City(JFK) on Delta, than JFK to Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) on Singapore Airlines continuing to Singapore Changi airport (SIN) on same SQ flight. About half way around the world...Singapore is 90 miles north of the equator. The temperature doesn't vary much throughout the year, and the sun rises and sets about the same time every day, year round. 12 or 13 hour time difference from Eastern tijme depending on whether or not U.S. is on standard or daylight time...Singapore doesn't switch...no need since the daylight hours don't change more than a few minutes.

Additional maps: Emerald Hill Road, Singapore

Excitement is building. Making a list of all the places we want to see and favorite places to eat. Took a look through some of the hundreds of photos we shot when we lived there and included here a few favorites and views of where we lived in the Emerald Hill Road historic district.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

46 Emerald Hill Road46 Emerald Hill Road
46 Emerald Hill Road

The terrace house in the center is where we lived in Singapore. These type of houses are also known as "shophouses" because many had a business on the ground level and the owner and family lived on the second floor.
A view across the streetA view across the street
A view across the street

This is what we saw as we stepped out our front door. These houses were 3 stories tall and had more elaborate architectural detail than our shophouse.
View of Emerald Hill RoadView of Emerald Hill Road
View of Emerald Hill Road

A view down the street where we lived. Usually very quiet and serene. You would hardly know we were little more than a city block from Orchard Road, one of the busiest streets in the city.
Shrimp Lady at the Tekka wet marketShrimp Lady at the Tekka wet market
Shrimp Lady at the Tekka wet market

We did a lot our shopping at the wet market near Little India. This lady always had very good shrimp and good prices. The market has been recently renovated, so we're interested to see how it has changed. I hope the didn't put in airconditioning...it would ruin the experience!
ArtistsArtists
Artists

Almost every Saturday morning, artists would set up a couple doors down from our house and sketch or paint watercolors of the victorian style houses across the street from us.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb