Autumn leaves and foot-tapping, toe-stomping, flat-dancing tunes


Advertisement
Published: October 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Well it's been almost a week since I've managed to add a post here. I have been far too busy enjoying my holiday to share with you lovely folk! But now I can catch you up on a week's worth of japes.

We left Washington DC bright and early on Tuesday morning in our Jeep Cherokee and, having set up the Go-Pro on the bonnet of the car we were good to go. Our first leg was about a 1.5hr drive from DC to Fort Royal where we stopped for a diner breakfast before turning into the Shenandoah National Park and the top of the Skyline Drive. Well. Wow. It was a glorious, hot and sunny day and we wound our way for a few hours along a road that takes you through the park. It was beautiful. Due to the unseasonably late warm weather, which we saw over in the UK as well, the leaves were on the turn but not yet fully gone. Greens, yellows, oranges and bright reds for miles - you could tell when we reached higher parts of the road as the leaves were more colourful - but even so it was spectacular for the majority. Buzzards flying overhead, several stops to check out vistas of the Shenandoah valley and the Virginian countryside. Top marks for this trip all around. As the top speed limit is 45MPH it was a leisurely trip and we were lucky to be doing it on a week day so there weren't too many other cars on the road.

The end of the Skyline Drive marks the beginning of the 469mile Blue Ridge Parkway which is a similarly dedicated scenic drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains and down into the Smoky Mountains. We wound our way along this extended visual feast for another few hours to our stop for the night - Roanoke, VA. Not too much to report from Roanoke except an uber ride in a fancy BMW SUV, driven by Alberto - who had lived in Brixton and ran a latino nightclub there for a few years and our first burgers of the trip (which were, I might add, excellent). A few beers and it was time to get some beauty sleep in our motel.

Wednesday saw us rise and jump back in the jeep to continue our journey on the Blueridge Parkway. Trees, colours, beautiful, glorious, scenic etc etc etc. A slightly odd trip down a back road (as per the guidance of our sat nav) and a decision to skip the back roads and stick to the signposts resulted in arrival at the Blue Ridge Music Centre. This inconspicuous, barn-like building houses a state-funded small museum, dedicated to the music and musicians of the blue ridge mountains. We wandered briefly around the exhibition - learning about the instruments making their way from European immigrants (fiddles, dulcimers) and African slaves (banjos) and how the blending of these instruments and the traditional folk music gave birth to the unique sound of Appalachian folk which then became the beginnings of almost all American music. Our trip traces much of that history in vaguely chronological order so it was a nice way to start (gospel in DC aside!). Each day from May-October there is a free concert of traditional music and we were treated to a lovely set played by Bill and Maggie Andersen - a couple who met via folk music and have followed their hearts from New York to the mountains in the last decade. They sang a few traditional numbers and a few originals - a particularly beautiful one they had written in dedication to Maybelle Carter (more on that later) following her death. Maggie is a champion dobro player and her husband very proudly told us she regularly beats mainly men in folk competitions. The dobro is played on the lap with a slide - some of you may have seen Fog playing the electric version - the lap-steel guitar and Maggie very aptly played a lovely tune to demonstrate her abilities and the sound of her instrument. It uses a steel cone built into the hollow of the instrument to amplify the sound and give it a lovely 'twangy' vibe that often accompanies traditional country music.

Free concert seen, we then hopped back in the car to finish the short drive to Galax, Virginia, population 7000. Unsurprisingly, it had a very different feel from both DC and Roanoke, and it certainly felt off the beaten track. Although it is a quiet town, it hosts an annual fidllers convention that attracts 40,000 odd musicians from across the world, competing for the title of world fiddling champion. It has now extended to a range of instruments (including the aforementioned dobro) and folk vocalists to boot, thus giving it the subheading on the town sign 'World's Center of Old Time Mountain Music'. Wednesday was a rest night for us so we sat in a local bar, sinking some (more) beers (I'm definitely coming back from this trip a dress size larger) and then headed to the Galax Smokehouse - proud recipient of several national BBQ awards and home to an unfathomably large collection of porcelain, wooden, plastic and other assorted material pigs (including a set of 13 porcelain pigs on keyrings, some blue, some pink, each representing a member of the family who ran the business). Glam it was not. But we managed to see away some extremely tasty ribs and brisket between us and roll ourselves up the hill to our motel for bed.

Music mountain vibe:
">Away Out On the Mountain - Jimmie Rodgers (1927)

Thursday morning saw an early rise and a trip off the Blueridge Parkway but continuing through the mountains, winding past tiny towns, countless 'Trump/Pence 2016' pickets in lawns, endless numbers of baptist churches, gleaming white in the hot autumn sunshine and promising hope and salvation from their black and white boards. We paused briefly for a pit stop in the somewhat humourously named 'Blowing Rock' - a town somewhere towards the high end of the spectrum between 'charmingly picturesque' and 'outrageously twee', but which provided me with a lovely clean loo and a banana to stem the rapid onset of scurvy resulting from my previous day's attempt at 'nutrition'.

After an unplanned extended trip, we arrived at the daunting front of the Grove Park Inn in the leafy hills of beautiful Asheville, NC. This was a bit of a treat courtesy of Leo, who had frequented the establishment a few times before, and wowee what a treat. The building is made from large slabs of local granite and looks a little like something out of 'The Flintstones'. It was built 113 years ago by the Vanderbilt family and has had two huge extensions since then. We signed our car off to valet parking (when in Rome...) and headed into the grand lobby - a huge hall with fireplaces at either end, rocking chairs in front of the fireplaces, large soft sofas across the room and hotel staff pushing golden luggage carts around. Our room wasn't quite ready so we grabbed a sandwich from the in-hotel market place (!) and sat outside in the sunshine - with breathtaking views across the valley. Trees, colours, beautiful, glorious etc etc etc. It was, once more, an unseasonably hot day with the sun beating down 27C and an exceptionally pleasant way to spend an afternoon. That evening, we sat watching the beginning of the sunset with Leo and enjoying a cold beer (for me, soft drink for Fog) before grabbing our car from valet (tee hee - so fancy!) and nipping across to Marshall, NC, an unassuming town on the edge of the mountains. This town is the home of grammy award winning fiddle player Bobby Hicks, now 83, who hosts a weekly jam at the Zuma coffee house in town. We sat for about 1.5hours taking in the western swing played by several local musicians (a few fiddles, a couple of guitars, various vocalists, a mandolin and a double bass). It was really lovely - people who almost certainly had normal day jobs, who weren't professional musicians (Hicks aside), who had not rehearsed a planned set together, but who complemented each other beautifully, swerving elegantly from playing lead to supporting others, adding musicians in when they joined half way through the jam and playing a range of beautiful traditional folk songs. A real treat which culminated in Fog being offered a room and a chance to play if we were to return. We just may do that.

Friday saw us take the freeway back up to Galax (for such a small town we really made the most of it!) and a trip to the Rex Theater. This small theatre hosts a regular Friday night gig which is broadcast live on Virginia WBRF 98.1FM and focuses on old-time and bluegrass music. We were really lucky that our visit coincided with a gig by the Whitetop Mountain Band. I can't even begin to describe how much fun these guys were. A largely family band (Martha Spencer and her parents Emily and Thornton along with Debbie Bramer on bass and Ersel Fletcher on guitar/vocals) they played fast-paced old-time mountain music, littered with 'whoops' and squeals and yodels, Martha swapping effortlessly between instruments and even treating us to a particularly energetic bout of flat-foot dancing. A good number of folks headed to the front of the theatre to engage in flat-foot dancing (somewhere between irish dancing, tap dancing and drunk uncle at a wedding dancing) and two-step for the slower numbers. The music was interspersed with adverts for local businesses (including a gun shop and a local insurance provider) and the rapid, even-toned compering of the local radio DJ. The band regularly play UK gigs and they are well-worth catching - if only for their witty stage banter: 'This next song is a real tear-jerker... it's called 16 chickens and a tambourine'. We sat next to Ersel's wife at the back of the theatre who was impressed by Fog's knowledge and said it was a shame he didn't have his guitar with him as they would have invited him for a jam if so.

Music vibe:
">The Whitetop Mountain Band - Keep My Skillet Good and Greasy

Which brings us to Saturday. I took the wheel for our drive out to Greeneville, Tennessee and think I've finally got the hang of (a) driving on the other side of the road and (b) sitting up so high in the SUV. Greeneville was hosting a 'Bluegrass and BBQ' festival and was a rather odd place. It boasts being former home to former US president Andrew Johnson and the main street was littered with grand buildings, home to banks, and several offices of local solicitors. However the road blocked off for the 'festival' was lined with several empty stores with faded signs, a few sorry looking antique shops and, oddly, a large wedding planning shop (I decided against going in to try the particularly fancy satin number in the window). It had the ghostly feel of a formerly wealthy town that had fallen on slightly hard times. The festival itself didn't have too many visitors but we caught a line-dancing display and grabbed a quick BBQ chicken sandwich. We had tickets to the concert in the local 'Capitol' theatre and were treated to an outstanding performance of bluegrass by 'Fiddlin'' Carson Peters and the Iron Mountain Band. This prodigious fiddle player has been playing since he was 3 years old and now, at the tender age of 12, has a huge following and it is no shock why. He is a phenomenal young musician, singing soprano (while he still can!) and making extraordinarily fast and complicated bluegrass pieces look completely effortless. His band were equally talented and they performed some breathtaking gospel numbers alongside the expected faster ones. If you get a chance to see them, do NOT miss them. They were followed by 'Blue Mafia' who, despite also being highly talented and accomplished musicians, could not match up to their opening act, so we hopped back in the car. Our final destination for Saturday and the culmination of our mountain music pilgrammage was the wonderful Carter Family Fold. This barn-looking venue perched in the foothills of Clinch Mountain was erected in the 70s by the daughter of AP and Sarah Carter in homage to her parents, and their cousin Maybelle, who are widely known as the 'first family' of country music. Their recordings in the 1920s were some of the earliest recordings of the traditional style of mountain music and folk songs of the era and they were the earliest country music stars. Perhaps the most well known member to your average layperson (myself very much included in this category prior to meeting my music-obsessed fiance!) is June Carter - wife of Johnny Cash and daughter of 'mother' Maybelle. The stage was filled with family memorabilia and we were introduced to the band by Rita Forrester, grand-daughter of Sara and A.P. We were then treated to a couple of hours of the 'Hogslop String Band', another group of talented fiddlers, guitar players, mandolin players and even someone on a washtub bass, playing endless high energy mountain songs which served the perfect soundtrack for the many talented flat-foot dancers in the room - many of whom were wearing metal shoes (like tap shoes). It was infectiously fun and a real treat. We met a lovely family who were local and spend most Friday evenings there - they reported regularly bumping into Johnny Cash back in the day and were particularly pleased we had managed to see some of their local countryside and experience the more traditional side of country music.

Music vibe: ">Carter Family - Keep on the Sunny Side

After a lie in at the motel, it was time to pack up the jeep and hop on the highway to leave the mountains and head for the bright lights and big sounds of Nashville, TN. More on that later...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb