Luray Caverns


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Luray
March 12th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On my way out of the Shenandoah Valley, I stopped by the Luray Caverns. Billed as the largest caverns on the east coast, I decided to stop by and take a look. Found in 1878 in the area limestone. We were assigned to a tour guide and the tour takes about an hour or so. You end up walking just over a mile. It is a US Natural Landmark.

Although the caverns are a constant mid 50 degrees, it can be a bit humid. Nature is still at work forming the caverns so water is ever present. The caverns are some 4,000,000 years in the making. Huge, tall cathedral like areas within the cavern. Just amazing. Formations of all kinds are there to see including those that look like anacondas, hanging fish, bacon, draperies and fried eggs! Amazing colors as well throughout. There's also a lake which creates an amazing optical illusion that my photo does not do justice to. Stunningly beautiful. There's also a pipe organ that can play the formations. Touted as the world's largest musical instrument and only one in the world.

There are a few stairs and some spots are steep and can be slippery but is a good site for adults and kids. Who doesn't enjoy exploring a cave? After my visit here, it was off to Baltimore to spend some time on the Inner Harbor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Luray CavernsLuray Caverns
Luray Caverns

Beautiful section of caverns with another water source. The copper present causes the water to look blue-green. Is used as a wishing area and the coins donated are given to charity.
Luray CavernsLuray Caverns
Luray Caverns

The largest lake in the caverns which creates an optical illusion of making one think that there are formations at the bottom. These are in fact reflections in the water from above. So much more amazing in person than what the picture can show.
Luray Singing TowerLuray Singing Tower
Luray Singing Tower

Located across from the Caverns. The Singing Tower is a carillon of 47 bells.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb