Almost Ready


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Fairfax
September 3rd 2008
Published: September 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The RouteThe RouteThe Route

At least until I change my mind ...
Hey friends - I'm getting ready to head out this Friday, September 5, on my cross country "Intro to Retirement" adventure. It's two months tomorrow since I left FNS, and, while I can't say I've gotten as much done at home as I hoped to during this period, I am ready and raring to go on the trip.

I'm posting a map of by initial plans for my travel, but I expect there to be changes along the way, especially if Nick (my grandson!) decides to show up a bit earlier than his expected Oct. 1 due date. The first part of my route focuses on U.S. Route 50 (one of the first coast to coast highways) and the Great River Road, a series of highways which meanders along the Mississippi River. I expect the high point of the first part of the trip to be the drive along the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. If you would like to see a bit more information on these routes, their is a website at http://www.roadtripusa.com/.

Most days, I have a couple of parks or historic sites I plan to see, but mostly I am going to try to
Sonic ManSonic ManSonic Man

One of many Midas Muffler men around the country who have been "repurposed" - this one is in front of the Sonic Drive In in Wilmington, Illinois
staty open to happy surprises and not push things too hard. If anyone has any suggestions for stuff I should be on the lookout for in the general areas in which I'm traveling, be sure to let me know. (I especially want to add to my colleciton of Roadside Giant shots - some samples from our last trip are below). I'll try to post at least once a week - more often if I get some really good shots. I am still learning how to use some of my new photo gear, but I'm especially excited about my infrared-conversion digital, which should yield some really great shots this time of year (when I post some, I'll provide a little more technical detail on how these images are made.

Hope to hear from you as I move along, either on the blog or at my regular email (susancfouts@yahoo.com)

Wish me luck!

Susan




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Giant CowboyGiant Cowboy
Giant Cowboy

Another repurposed Midas Man, outside a casino in Montana
Big and GreenBig and Green
Big and Green

Near the headquarters of Green Giant Foods, in Blue Earth, Minnesota
The RouteThe Route
The Route

At least until I change my mind ...


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb